Excited with a new purchase ... now need some opinions

I have been wanting a semi custom rifle for a LONG time but have never had the budget for it. Decided that I would shop some off the shelf models and came up with the Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in 308 Win. Barrel twist is 1:10. I have topped it with a Leupold VX 3HD 3.5 - 10 x 50mm (I have always used Leupold and didn't look at any other brands).

I didn't pickup any ammo when I made the purchase of the rifle and scope b/c I had some cheap FMJ to get it on paper with and then some Hornady American Whitetail 165gr interlock sitting on the shelf at home.

I will cut through a ton of details .... but this gun just doesn't like the American Whitetail ammo (or at least the 165 gr interlock). Groups were between 2 and 3 MOA. Luckily a buddy had some Hornady Superformance 150 gr SST on hand and whew what a difference. Groups immediately shrank to 1 MOA or less.

Good news is the gun / scope combo shoots like a dream to me and I love it. Asking for some direction on other types / brands / bullets weights to try. I don't want to just go randomly buy boxes of stuff that would be a waste of money and time.

The sole purpose of this rifle is for deer / hog hunting here in Georgia. I have been chasing these animals for 40+ years and have harvested a ton with a slew of different calibers (but this is my first 308 Win for hunting .... I have built an AR 10 for rec shooting). Most of my shots are 200 yards or less. I have zeroed the rifle at 200 yds.

In the past I have had some mixed results with SST ammo in 270 Win ... jacket separation, etc. Don't necessarily want to stick with the SST unless that is the pill this rifle loves to eat.

I will mention that I have already taken a 7 pointer with this gun shooting the 150gr SST and he was DRT, just looking at other options.

Opinions and options welcome ... and I know that my mileage may vary.

Thanks for reading!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Every recommendation would be a lucky guess if it works out.
Every barrel likes what it likes and may not like something that shoots well for others.
Unfortunately you'll probably have to spend some money on a few different brands/bullets/weights and see what it likes.
Maybe borrow some others from friends and swap them back with something you may have that their gun likes but yours doesn't.

Congrats on a fine rifle and scope.

bighonkinjeep

A handloading kit? The ability to tune a load to your rifle is the biggest accuracy improvement for the least amount of cash that you can make to any rifle.
That being said an economical starter kit can be had for under$200 and the process is easily doable by most anyone who can read and follow instructions. Still some guesswork involved but the results are worth it. Lotta guys spend big bucks on custom rifles barrels stocks triggers etc but i havent found a savage rifle yet that wont shoot the lights out with a tuned load. Several load manuals list most accurate load tested and accuracy loads which ive found to be a good place to start.
If handloading is too much trouble youre just going to have to keep trying until you find which load it likes. Maybe cheap federal blue box or maybe premium nosler or anything in between. Same for bullet weight its all guessing game. Since 150s seem to do better so far, Id probably start there. Always had decent results with federal if i had to take a WAG.

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

Tuning ammo to the gun is a real positive about reloading .... the ability (in the past bullets and other components were easy to find) tune was easier...but there is still a selection of bullets that show up ...if you are watching ...

If you got a buddy that reloads ...may be a way to find a bullet that works like you want and shoots accurate...

I'd put a hundred rounds through the barrel before really worrying a bunch ...seems some barrels just need a set amount of bullets to settle in ...

Robert28

Sounds like that gun isn’t accurate at all. Better give it to me so you won’t have to mess with it anymore.Those CA’s are NICE btw! I want one.

FlipKing

I've had 2 Ridgelines, one in .308, one in 6.5. If it's like that, it should shoot federal gold medal match 168s very well for target and then federal bonded tip or ttsx for hunting ammo.

menhadenman

Great price and they do well in my Remington Model Seven:

Agree with Whelen, bought a case of these at PSA in Greenville and they shoot like a laser out of my new 308 T3x. Haven’t killed anything with it yet but the bullet looks fit for the job. The Norma brass is pretty for a reloader too.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Agree with Whelen, bought a case of these at PSA in Greenville and they shoot like a laser out of my new 308 T3x. Haven’t killed anything with it yet but the bullet looks fit for the job. The Norma brass is pretty for a reloader too.
My savage 110 in 308 likes the Norma rounds too.

Darkhorse

Personaly I would give the Hornady 150 grain Interlock a fair try. The In terlock's were my goto bullet in several calibers for many years and never failed me. Also some of my best groups were shot with the interlocks.
The last few years I've tried other bullets but I won't hesitate to go back to the Interlocks.

deers2ward

Ive had 1 Mesa (7mm rem) and 3 Ridgelines (2 7mm rem and 1 7mm-08 (current). All shot sub 1/2 MOA, but I handload. The Mesa and 1 of the Ridgelines liked Nosler Accubond/Ballistic tips. The other 2 like Barnes TTSX.

I prefer Nosler BTs for hunting deer so always start there, then if need be will feed Barnes TTSX. If you dont want to try different things and want to go with the most likely to be accurate, Id say Barnes TTSX all day long. Be sure to hit bone on your shots on deer

Last edited:
Thank you all for the feedback!
As @BriarPatch99 stated, I probably do need to run a bunch of rounds down its throat to break it in ..... Apparently CA has a break in regiment on their website. I assume I can just use cheap stuff for this ... I have plenty of that on hand.

As time allows I will acquire various boxes of different things and weights to see what it likes the best (Including the Norma, TTSX and others as mentioned above) ..... good news about that is I get more trigger time.

Thanks to @deers2ward for the first hand knowledge around the Mesa.

To @bighonkinjeep and @BriarPatch99 I want to get into rolling my own and really having some fun. Unfortunately that probably won't happen until retirement days arrive in a few more years. Gives me another thing to look forward to.

@Robert28 , I'm keeping this one!

Again thanks to ALL that have replied even if I didn't mention you by name!

Happy shooting and happy hunting to you all. May the Lord Bless you and yours in this time of harvest and keep you all safe during the holiday season.

DrK

My .308 does not like the 165 American Whitetail, gives a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards but my favorite factory load is the 150 American Whitetail and it produces a 1 inch or less group. Give it a try and it might work well on that gun.

Big7

The Oracle
Sounds like that gun isn’t accurate at all. Better give it to me so you won’t have to mess with it anymore.Those CA’s are NICE btw! I want one.
So is that VX3

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Shot a doe this evening with my .308. Was using Norma 150 grain like the ones posted by menhadenman. Hit her in the front shoulders at 45 yds. Clean pass through and she hit the dirt. First kill with the Norma, seems to be accurate and lethal.
120ish pound doe.