Explosive Afternoon

Jester896

Senior Clown
Watched my friends new Mark 7 addition at work today. It loaded 100 9mm in 2.5 minutes. That isn't enough time for the automatic primer tube feeder to drop the next pack of primers in the tube hardly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody know what this is?

IMG_0579.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
Here is what it used to look like,,,there was a nickle .45ACP case pushed down on the top to make it easier to handle

Dillon-13707-768x768.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
Primer pushdown rod launched into ceiling?????

We Got A Winner! The alarm rod

I was standing maybe 24" away on the primer side watching the priming mechanism work. I saw the flash before I heard the bang! Just sayin...I smelt hair burning....I had debris in my mouth. Don't believe anyone that tells you CCI magnum pistol primers don't have a good flash....they do. We think it was dropping more than 1 primer at a time on to the slide. One primer would get dropped into the anvil but the 2nd was still on top of the slide bar on the 1050. We pulled out 6+ fired primers...primers were welded into the tube...the tube tip was GON. My friend tells me he has never had a primer go off when he was using a 1050. This is the second time in about 8 years that I have seen it on this machine. The first time it was a single primer and the anvil fired it when it was seated...looked like it was in sideways. This time it was crushed on top in the open area of the primer slide and set off multiples. Took us a couple hours to get it up and running again...then it started doing it again....back apart one more time...

Yes Dub...the ceiling is plywood and it chipped wood and knocked paint off. That blew out of the top of the priming system...the alarm was fine.

116046834_592033988371273_5270340098274301277_n.jpg

Dub

Wow........and what of the .45acp case that was weighing her down ?????

:rofl:

Glad there was no injury and recovery of press was possible.

Dub

Okay....I see it now.

Been posting from my phone vs my laptop. Prefer the laptop.

That’s a scary scenario. Glad of no injuries and a press that recovered quickly.

It’s definitely something to keep in mind.....I’m setting presses up for my standing while operating. I’ll use a mirror to help monitor case fill and keep my noggin back outa the line of fire in case something decides to kaboom on me. :)

Thanks for the PSA.

Jester896

Senior Clown
they have alarm dies too I think...depending on the machine your running

1050 are built like a tank kinda...they don't have the same warranty the other machines have. Some of the parts interchange and those are the only ones that were damaged....primer tube and plastic tip...along with the primer alarm rod. Kind of a freak thing...not sure if anyone would have caught it or not...not like you felt resistance. 1 isn't so bad but the multiples could get dangerous...was really...I'm lucky. I think there will always be issues with priming on a press of some type....then again I'm not going to hand prime as many cases as he does :D

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Agreed on 1050 tank-level stoutness. I’m thinking the only reason the warranty is different is due to the fact people automate them and rack up some serious output quicklike.

If I had the time and money to shoot as much as I’d like.....a 1050 setup on 9mm & .223 would be sweet. Swaging, trimming and loading.

Could be a dream for future years....retirement years maybe....

I know a pile of folks were angry when Dillon changed away from the 650 priming system on the 750....

I’m guessing it was a safety thing ???

The fact that it (750) mirrors the 550C was actually a small bonus for me as I will be using one of those, too.....only one system to learn/troubleshoot + fast primer size changeovers.

Good thing it didn't make it up to the rest of the primers.....I have a lee load master. It is manual but progressive and it is good enough for me. Thats a fact. I can load a lot of shells in an house and my press is much less expensive for sure.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Good thing it didn't make it up to the rest of the primers.....I have a lee load master. It is manual but progressive and it is good enough for me. Thats a fact. I can load a lot of shells in an house and my press is much less expensive for sure.

everyone has different needs...that's why they make different types