Extended deer season status?

Gumpbuck

Does anyone know what the latest status is for extending or sliding the deer season for SW GA? There was a couple bills that had been proposed recently. HB 186 and SB 122. In Decatur county the rut is just about to start. We need a few more weeks to be able to participate in it. I think a great idea is to slide the season to start later and end later. That way it's still the same number of hunting days. My trail cameras and personal sighting tell me that our rut starts after the season is over.
Thanks and best wishes.

Last edited:

catch22

Gump, I second your assessment. Ive mentioned on this sight several times, that Florida DNR doesnt do a lot right when it comes to deer seasons/hunting. The one thing they did right was complete a study on rut/conception dates in the state and divide the state into 4 "zones". Each of those zones has different seasons based on data from the study.

Alabama also has different zones for different parts of the state

I would recommend GA do the same.

I know that you have been a proponent of this, as have I......and there will be a bunch of naysayers chime in about the length of the season, you must not be a good hunter if you cant get it done in 3 months etc.....

I agree with you, we are not asking to lengthen the season, just take some off the front end and add to the back end.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the latest status is for extending or sliding the deer season for SW GA? There was a couple bills that had been proposed recently. HB 186 and SB 122. In Decatur county the rut is just about to start. We need a few more weeks to be able to participate in it. I think a great idea is to slide the season to sart later and end later. That way it's still the same number of hunting days. My trail cameras and personal sighting tell me that our rut statrts after the season is over.
Thanks and best wishes.
I also hunt in Decatur county and am hoping for the same thing. I emailed my State Representative last night about this and I hope all of Southwest Georgia hunters will do the same!

Gumpbuck

I also hunt in Decatur county and am hoping for the same thing. I emailed my State Representative last night about this and I hope all of Southwest Georgia hunters will do the same!
What is the name of the Rep you emailed? I'm happy to do the same.

Gumpbuck

For my wife and I, we pump several thousand dollars into the county and state economy when we hunt in Decatur county. That money could be used just a few miles south in FL or a few miles west in AL. We have friends and family in the area and don't want to look for a lease anywhere else.
I just haven't seen a good reason for not making a change on this.
Also, I read that rut dates were based on statistics for increase vehicle accidents. In other words, deer move more during the rut, so there are more car accidents. The theory being that if there are more accidents at a particular time, the rut must be on. I don't understand why the dates aren't based on deer biology and wildlife studies.

buckpasser

I wish y’all corner folks luck. It’s just wrong to miss the best part of the breeding due to the season ending. I used to see hot scrapes while I was turkey hunting over there early season!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
For my wife and I, we pump several thousand dollars into the county and state economy when we hunt in Decatur county. That money could be used just a few miles south in FL or a few miles west in AL. We have friends and family in the area and don't want to look for a lease anywhere else.
I just haven't seen a good reason for not making a change on this.
Also, I read that rut dates were based on statistics for increase vehicle accidents. In other words, deer move more during the rut, so there are more car accidents. The theory being that if there are more accidents at a particular time, the rut must be on. I don't understand why the dates aren't based on deer biology and wildlife studies.

Studies on conception dates using fetal aging have also been done there and they concur with the collision data.

catch22

Studies on conception dates using fetal aging have also been done there and they concur with the collision data.

Id prefer to stick with the fetal aging dates. However good to know they match. If this is the case then wonder why GA doesnt explore "zone" specific seasons?

Gumpbuck

I'm glad to hear they are looking at more than collision data. But someone needs tell the deer that they can't be messing around after Christmas... ;-)

HIGH COUNTRY

I passed on a nice seven point outside the ears making a scrape ten yards from me yesterday am, he then walked under my stand. With my bow, but I got a good one three weeks ago.

This is on the edge of miller and early county.

I dont even hunt early archery any more with the heat, and I am almost completely bow only for years now. January could be some of our best hunting.

It got to committee last year I believe it was, but some push back from small game hunters/etc. They were at least looking at making season go out on MLK holiday, since kids would then get a final long weekend plus a good number of other working folks (not all though get the holiday Monday).

The rep from Ocilla area was also involved, I also believe a petition was started in Bainbridge area about a year ago.

Finally got some cold weather coming, I broke out in sweat most mornings this year walking to the stand.

I will recheck my emails on which reps I talked to last year.

Simply put - Georgia is too diverse a state geographically, from mountains to coast to middle ga piedmont to sw ga agricultural land. One size does not fit all. I agree with zones based on what is best for that geographical part of the state. I dont see how anyone can argue with that.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I passed on a nice seven point outside the ears making a scrape ten yards from me yesterday am, he then walked under my stand. With my bow, but I got a good one three weeks ago.

This is on the edge of miller and early county.

I dont even hunt early archery any more with the heat, and I am almost completely bow only for years now. January could be some of our best hunting.

It got to committee last year I believe it was, but some push back from small game hunters/etc. They were at least looking at making season go out on MLK holiday, since kids would then get a final long weekend plus a good number of other working folks (not all though get the holiday Monday).

The rep from Ocilla area was also involved, I also believe a petition was started in Bainbridge area about a year ago.

Finally got some cold weather coming, I broke out in sweat most mornings this year walking to the stand.

I will recheck my emails on which reps I talked to last year.

Simply put - Georgia is too diverse a state geographically, from mountains to coast to middle ga piedmont to sw ga agricultural land. ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL !!!!! I agree with zones based on what is best for that geographical part of the state. I dont see how anyone can argue with that.

HIGH COUNTRY, I FIXED IT FOR YOU BECAUSE I AGREE WITH YOU SOUTHERN HUNTERS AS I THINK THAT LOTS OF YOU GET THE SHORT END OF THE STICK AS SUCH WITH THE RUTTING SEASON IN YOUR AREA.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Id prefer to stick with the fetal aging dates. However good to know they match. If this is the case then wonder why GA doesnt explore "zone" specific seasons?

Primarily because our very long season already encompasses the peak rut in all parts of the state. There are also a number of other issues such as complicating hunting regulations, requiring a law change, and constant quarreling over what zone border counties should be in. Back when we had just 2 deer zones it was a constant issue that half the state's deer season ended 2 weeks later and some folks tried to get northern zone counties put in the southern zone. Everywhere you draw a zone line you create haves and have nots.

I see what you're saying about the collision data, but there's good science to back it up. Here's the literature we based the rut map on:
http://www.seafwa.org/30 Stickles et al 202-207.pdf

Gator89

Reminds me of the old joke about extending the duck season in south Louisiana by two months?

What are you going to name the months?

Blisterapine

I could support the adding of 2 weeks on the end. I'm in high NE Decatur, sometimes the rut is early sometimes it's late. Normal peak time is mid December to Jan1. That's been the window for 30 years , I've observed it diligently. Some seasons the best is over by Jan 1 and it all but drys up. Then again I've seen bucks chasing does during spring turkey season , and fresh scrapes everywhere , so it really varies season to season. That being said , the last few years I've noticed it leaning more into January than ever before. Also . . . if they add the 2 weeks on the end, (and don't take 2 off the front) - make it bucks only , we don't need 2 more weeks of doe harvest.

Last edited:

Latest posts