Extra modem plugged into gateway router/modem?

Artfuldodger

Went over to help my SIL get a smart camera to work with her new set up. Not long ago she had a separate router and modem she's had forever. WOW Cable sent her a new gateway router/modem.

Her daughter installed the gateway but then hooked up a separate newer modem to it. Would there be any reason to do this? My SIL has no smartphones and gets on the internet with her PC. Only family and friends use the wi-fi.

Also if someone was searching for an internet connection, would both modems show up in the search?

buckmanmike

Not sure but the modem the cable company sent can be throttled by the provider after signal leaves the router. Maybe the extra modem can not be throttled unless the cable company throttles the input before the router.
This is my understanding and Im a tech idiot.

jmfauver

The second one would be installed if you needed extended range. Many from the cable companies will only cover so many square feet of space before the signal degrades or is lost. Most of the time if another one is needed I run a cat 6 cable to the area where the signal starts getting weak and plug the new router or an extender in.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Did she hook up a separate modem, or separate router?

I have used a separate router, hardwired to the main modem/router, to extend the range. Works great. Easiest setup is to give it it's own network name, but there's a way to have it be the same network for ease of connection. Was just a lot of trouble to do it that way.

Artfuldodger

Did she hook up a separate modem, or separate router?

I have used a separate router, hardwired to the main modem/router, to extend the range. Works great. Easiest setup is to give it it's own network name, but there's a way to have it be the same network for ease of connection. Was just a lot of trouble to do it that way.
I'll bet that was it, she told me it was a separate modem but it was probably a router.

trial&error

Many people think wifi extenders need to be plugged in where the modem is. While it may increase the range slightly it should be setup down the hall or other side of the house where the signal gets weak.