Eye Dominance

NugeForPres

I have recently discovered that I am left-eye dominant, and I have always shot right handed. Is it worth it to learn how to shoot left handed- will it help enough to make a difference? I shoot ok as it is, but I want to be the best I can at it.

frosty20

I am right eye dominant but I can shoot a gun both ways. I am actually more accurate left handed

660griz

I am the same. Right handed, left eye dominant. I just have to close my left eye. Unless shooting a handgun, then I can 'move' it over to my left eye.
I think the shotgun/wing shooting is where it probably handicaps me the most. I do fine but, I am sure the lack of periphery vision causes me to miss some chances. All of my long guns and bows are right handed models. Too old and too much money to switch now. :)

Should be perfect for golf, baseball, etc. :)

Hobie246

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I also have bad vision in my right eye. I switched to shooting left handed 3 years ago after shooting right handed for 20 years. It took about 2 months and I was shooting better left handed than I ever shot right handed. The only issue I had was setting up stands and to remember to set them up for left handed shots.

Stonewall 2

I am all messed up! I am left handed and left eye dominant. I shoot a gun left handed play golf right handed, bat left handed and here is the one that gives me the problem. I shoot a bow right handed because that's what I grew up shooting at first with kids bows then a recurve and then with a compound it wasn't an issue for me in my earlier years bows were longer and I shot fingers and would look across the string with my left eye thru the peep. But when I moved up to my first of the short bows 20 years ago and had to shoot a release I couldn't look across the string anymore so I picked up a left handed bow and it was the oddest feeling that I wasn't ready to overcome.

So my solution is an eyepatch that I wear while shooting and hunting. I cannot close my left eye without squinting thru my right the patch allows me to leave both eyes open while blocking the vision of my left. I have killed a lot of deer and an elk with this setup but one day I would like to try to make the switch to a left handed bow if I could just find the time! Also if I try to shoot without the patch with both eyes open I will be about 15 inches to the left at 20 yds.

River creek

I am the same way right handed but left eye dominant I shoot a gun left handed and my bow right handed but with my bow I wear an eye patch before I get ready to draw back I just pull it over my left eye and never had a problem my buddies laugh at me while we are shooting in the yard but I have shot more deer with a bow than they have so I guess I get the last laugh.

littlenorth

For the members having this problem, try shooting with both eyes open. It may seem hard to start with, but it is easier than one thinks. When I first started shooting a rifle with opens sights, very few scopes in those days, yes the instructor, parent or mentor taught me to close the opposite eye, the one that didn't look at the sight. Going to a gun club once in a while, this was taught there at that time also.
Later I learnt using a scope, doing the same thing, after the shot, if it was a miss you either lowered the rifle to find the target or tried to find it in the scope. This turned out to be difficult if shooting at a live target. However if the other eye, the one not looking through the scope, is kept open, one could easily find the target.
Since I got into archery, I trained my self to use this procedure. For those that would like to do this and find it difficult, sight your bow like you normally shoot. Just before you shoot, keeping the bow steady at full draw, open the other eye. Now shoot. With a little practice and patience it will work. Good luck and have fun.