f150 5.4 mpg question

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
That's what I'm thinking .I haven't changed them yet

Watch all the 5.4 plug removal videos, do them one at a time with the engine hot.
I used sea foam to soak them.
Blew out debris. I used a ratchet with care. If it squeaks it’s coming whole.
It will squeak until it breaks.
I used anti seize to replace them with the updated one piece welded Oem motorcraft. Didn’t break any but had the brand new lisle tool on hand just in case.
Did it myself. The 2004 is probably the worst for breaking plugs in half. The longer you wait the more stuck with carbon they get. Once done you’ll be relieved and will never have that problem again. If it shudders between 40-50mph that’s a coil over pack.
Use Oem for best results.
It’s up to you how long and how many miles you wait. Some people use an impact to break the carbon loose.
The one on the passenger side behind the computer was the hardest to get to so I removed the computer for clearance.All eight came out unbelievably easy and unbroken.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I bought mine used with 95,000 on it. I bought the lisle tool also to be safe. Watched the videos and did everything possible to not break one, wound up breaking two. The tool worked flawlessly. The one behind the computer and front driver broke with me. Liberal amounts of anti sieze is applied every time I change them. It’s a breeze now, new coil packs last change.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Mechanic quoted $400, I did it for less than $200 with buying the tool.

7 point

My mechanic said the plugs are good for 100k miles .but I think it's times to change them

7 point

Watch all the 5.4 plug removal videos, do them one at a time with the engine hot.
I used sea foam to soak them.
Blew out debris. I used a ratchet with care. If it squeaks it’s coming whole.
It will squeak until it breaks.
I used anti seize to replace them with the updated one piece welded Oem motorcraft. Didn’t break any but had the brand new lisle tool on hand just in case.
Did it myself. The 2004 is probably the worst for breaking plugs in half. The longer you wait the more stuck with carbon they get. Once done you’ll be relieved and will never have that problem again. If it shudders between 40-50mph that’s a coil over pack.
Use Oem for best results.
It’s up to you how long and how many miles you wait. Some people use an impact to break the carbon loose.
The one on the passenger side behind the computer was the hardest to get to so I removed the computer for clearance.All eight came out unbelievably easy and unbroken.
Mine shutters at about 70 mph

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Mine shutters at about 70 mph
Spark plugs.
Run some sea foam through your gas tank to loosen the carbon before you change them. At least one of your plugs is going bad.
Watch as many videos as you can especially the ones who claim not to have broken any plugs. Start looking for the lisle tool now.
Some places will rent it. Try Napa.

7 point

I just came from the shop it showed no codes I took him for a ride he siad to just run some seafoam in it and blow it out and see if it smoothes out

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Run the seafoam even with the low miles you could still be having Plug issues. Beings that is an 04 you could have some COP boot and or spring issues too.

If you have kept the oil changed regularly, and used a FoMoCo filter, I doubt phasers.

What oil have you been using? I only use the FoMoCo oil and filter and change every 3000 miles.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
My shudder started at 70mph on the money every time and went away soon as I changed plugs. 40-50 was a coil pac. Left it too long and it burnt my catalytic converter driver side. Light would flash but went away for good once changed both cop and converter.
I had changed oil the week before (Mobil one and Mobil one filter} full synthetic. I noticed my gas mileage was less also until I changed the plugs. Don’t wait and break one later. Your starting to have an issue with one plug now so don’t beat around the bush knowing the plugs NEED changed. 70 mph on the money was a plug electrode barely worn down. New plugs and ran 94mph like new. Err I mean it woulda.
Clean the mafs yourself but that didn’t help anything.
YouTube videos are simple maintenance and non mechanic friendly.
If you wait for 100,000 miles to change a 2004 F150 5.4 spark plugs then you wish you hadn’t. I went to a junkyard and practiced on their motor first... still never broke one. I felt bad putting it back it ?
I’ve swapped my transmission also because I did not maintain it.
Don’t believe in lifetime fluid. I do use ford trans fluid. Mobil one oil.
If there is a 5.4 video I’ve watched it twice.
All these trucks do the same and fix the same. Change your plugs per the videos. Scotty Kilmer rev your engines helps a lot and occasionally
Bull....korner knows his stuff too. Have at it and do you own maintenance. Oem welded updated plugs with anti seize and your headache will go away for good on that note.
Do it hot for each plug one at a time. Comes right out.

7 point

I went to wally world got some seafoam and motorcraft oil and filter .I have been running valvoline max life blend .I'm going back with all oem it does have a k&n air filter

John Cooper

Is you K&N just the filter or complete cold air intake?

I still say you have a plug issue or a coil pack boot/spring issue.

7 point

It's a drop in filter .I'm leaning that way too but I'm doing the cheap simple things 1st and go from there

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Nothing wrong with your valvoline max blend at all. Today’s oil are not much difference in the next except mainly price. I’ll never use motorcraft brand oil or filter. I do use motorcraft trans fluid.
I want some oil from an oil company not a car company.
One very knowledgeable trusted professional mechanic online says to put 5w30 instead of 5w20 in the ford 3v ASAP if you want that motor to last.
He says the oil pump is a bad design and should be upgraded to high volume melling??? Just sayin. Have not done either yet.
Afraid to just as you are about the spark plugs breaking.
The Oem oil pumps are failing I guess. Dang what a design.
In fact our oil pressure gauge reads fake and not actual.
Notice it never changes it’s reading except when you drain and replace the oil it hesitates an extra millisecond.

7 point

Dang ...... I'm getting scared of it now .might be time to trade it on a new Tacoma and get 20 mpg .

Last edited:

John Cooper

It's a drop in filter .I'm leaning that way too but I'm doing the cheap simple things 1st and go from there

I am not a real fan of K&N seen to much bad things with them, that being said their drop in are a little better than their CAI.

There are mixed stories and several thousand post about oil in the 5.4 3V. I run the FoMoCo in mine cause I have a brand new FoMoCo reman eng in mine and have 2 years left on the warranty and if it fails I don't want Ford to be able to say I didn't run the right oil. With your mileage I doubt you have oil pump issues.

Go join ford f150 forums and post you question there, there are some guys with our generation trucks that are pushing 300,000 miles and have no issues.

Check out fordmakuloco on YouTube, he probably knows as much if not more than anyone on the 5.4 3V

It seems by 08 ford had fixed most of the problems with the engine, that's why I went the ford reman route with my engine. Their remans are all updated to 08 and newer specs.

I would try and figure out what's going on with your engine if it were me, also one other thing I just thought of to check is your FPDM (fuel pump driver module) it's on the frame back by the spare, might have to drop the spare, they are known to cause problems also and an easy fix.

7 point

I like the truck it's been in my family sence new my mother bought it in 04 brand new been in her garage sence the day she drove it home I've had it about 2 years now

John Cooper

I like the truck it's been in my family sence new my mother bought it in 04 brand new been in her garage sence the day she drove it home I've had it about 2 years now

There you go. Keep digging you will figure it out! Find a good reputable ford tech that knows 5.4 3V engines. He should be able to help you out.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
fordmakuloco is the one who says use 5w30 oil instead and recommends the oil pump swap. Sounds as if @John Cooper watches his maintenance and rebuild videos too.
I agree ? % with John.
I do wonder what happened to your original motor if not too painful to tell.

Only thing is my Fpdm is not where it’s supposed to be.
Never even seen it under there....:huh:
Haven’t had a need to pin it down either though.
Maybe I over look it.