Factory Ammo or Handloads for Deer?

Newt2

All of the deer I have taken with my 41 magnum were taken with handloads. But the deer I have taken with my 357 were all, except one, with the Federal Hydra-shok The odd one was a Golden Saber to the spine. I also found that heavier (170 vs 210, or 125 vs 158) were better performers. What is your preference?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I LOVE my hot .41mag 210g handloads.
Killed a few in my early days with .357 Lawman 158g and then170g handloads.
I prefer heavy, hot handloads.

earlthegoat2

I use factory ammo for my 44 mag. American Eagle 240gr JSPs. Accurate, affordable, and effective. I prefer heavy for caliber bullets but these AEs shoot very well for me.

In the simplest form hand loads exist only to fill a void in what else is available out there.

This void could take the form of heavy and slow, light and fast, more accuracy, or quite simply, affordable. Affordable is quite often the driving force behind hand loading.

275 Barnes XPB factory loads exist for 450 Bushmaster. They get expensive though so I load my own for a little less money. The velocity does not matter as much as the bullet itself and how accurate it is. Some folks load huge amounts of “plinker” ammo with lead bullets and in huge quantities you cannot buy anywhere for the price of the hand loads.

Some load their own to make better ammo all around. Better ammo is highly subjective though so each individual hand loader will have their own idea of what constitutes better. The reasons mentioned above al apply in this regard.

So it really does not matter whether you use hand loads or buy factory ammo as long as it fills your own needs. I only hand load for the aforementioned 450 BM Barnes load. That is it. I don’t load for any other cartridge and I buy a certain factory loaded 450 BM ammo product for my AR.

Lonegle57

Been a reloader for a long time. It has given me a chance to find a load that works well in the handguns. I did run across a deal a couple of years ago on 41 mag factory stuff and am currently using it up to hunt with, Remington HTP 210 grain soft points.
In most revolvers am using a cast bullet load to hunt with, saves some money and deer dont know the difference.

rosewood

I roll my own and prefer my loads over factory. I haven't hunted with a factory load in at least 10 years. I rarely even buy factory ammo for a new cartridge I bought. I will usually go ahead and order dies and components before I ever shoot it. I have several guns that have never seen a factory round.

There is a certain since of satisfaction in taking game with your hand loads. It even ups the game when you cast the boolits also.

Rosewood

Larry Rooks

I roll my own and prefer my loads over factory. I haven't hunted with a factory load in at least 10 years. I rarely even buy factory ammo for a new cartridge I bought. I will usually go ahead and order dies and components before I ever shoot it. I have several guns that have never seen a factory round.

There is a certain since of satisfaction in taking game with your hand loads. It even ups the game when you cast the boolits also.

Rosewood
Ive loaded my own for near 50 years. I prefer my loads for hunting, both in 41 mag and 45 Colt, never had a problem with either. I've taken a good many deer and hog with good performance all the way. A second note though, for all defense ammo, I'm stocked with factory stuff

Rich M

All of the deer I have taken with my 41 magnum were taken with handloads. But the deer I have taken with my 357 were all, except one, with the Federal Hydra-shok The odd one was a Golden Saber to the spine. I also found that heavier (170 vs 210, or 125 vs 158) were better performers. What is your preference?

I reload 357 mags for a rifle. 158 XTP FP bullets at 1900 fps are exceptional.

pacecars

In my .480 I use lead 400 gr WFN bullets from a Lee mold that I cast myself and load at about 1000 FPS

01Foreman400

Staff member
If you can load it chances are it’ll be more accurate and more rewarding.

Dub

My preference? Been a long time since I loaded any, but .44mag 240gr XTP over a stout dose of H110 is my preference for hunting.

Looking forward to getting my Rugers heated up with the same here soon.

Will also be using some W296 once my H110 supply is gone.