Factory Ammo

chase870

Possum Sox
What causes this? This is Hornady factory ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_6844.JPG
    IMG_6844.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6843.JPG
    IMG_6843.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6842.JPG
    IMG_6842.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6841.JPG
    IMG_6841.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6840.JPG
    IMG_6840.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 67

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Mars

I'm going to say a poor heat treat on the brass but others here will along with the right explanation.

chase870

Possum Sox
Over pressure in the chamber. Many things can cause this. Plus weak fast made brass.
Have u shot another shell not Hornady to see if the same effect happens.
yes I have shot some of my hand loads and other rounds from the same lot number of the factory ammo as well

BriarPatch99

Have you had problems with other brands brass?
Just this batch of Hornady?
Just thus one brass or multiple brass?

Just guessing ...bad piece of brass ...if many pieces ...that batch may have been over work harden during processing... normally the bottom 2/3 of the brass is fairly "hard" ... so any defect would cause splits ...

It appears judging by the primer that those were not over loads ... the primer retains radius edges ... a really "over load" will cause the edges to be almost 90 degrees(S&B primers come flatter than most from factory) ...

Answers to the question can help ...

As far as I know they do not anneal the base after final forming ...never talked to Hornady engineers before ...so I am not sure of their process ...

Winchester says they annealed the brass "slug" to begain with ...and after each step until the final forming step ... Winchester say four impacts to form... three anneals ... no annealing after third step....

Last edited:

chase870

Possum Sox
Have you had problems with other brands brass?
Just this batch of Hornady?
Just thus one brass or multiple brass?

Just guessing ...bad piece of brass ...if many pieces ...that batch may have been over work harden during processing... normally the bottom 2/3 of the brass is fairly "hard" ... so any defect would cause splits ...

It appears judging by the primer that those were not over loads ... the primer retains radius edges ... a really "over load" will cause the edges to be almost 90 degrees(S&B primers come flatter than most from factory) ...

Answers to the question can help ...
Yes I was just curious I've had a dud round of every brand of factory ammo I've ever shot. Most often its a bad primer, but every once and awhile it will be something else.

BriarPatch99

Yes I was just curious I've had a dud round of every brand of factory ammo I've ever shot. Most often its a bad primer, but every once and awhile it will be something else.

Another with similar case splits ? ..duds another deal ... I the question is ...is the chamber of your gun defective in that other brass splits ...if not ...I would say a defective brass if not...

chase870

Possum Sox
Another with similar case splits ? ..duds another deal ... I the question is ...is the chamber of your gun defective in that other brass splits ...if not ...I would say a defective brass if not...
Chambers fine I've shot some other rounds after that, same lot and I shot some of my hand loads as well, the Jester load is dead on the money. All were hornady brass. Just that one round so far, but I have 9 cases of that lot number. I have never had a case issue other than a blown primer from a smidge to much powder, mistake on my part.

Attachments

• IMG_6853.JPG
    IMG_6853.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm going to say bad brass too. Hard to tell if it started in the middle or at the case head. The area around the center looks like it sealed in the chamber then the crack went to the case head where there was no resistance.

hope you are OK

I might send them and image and lot number to see what they say

HughW2

I had a piece or two of Federal Premium brass do this same sort of hairline cracking before. I sent their customer service a jpeg pic and they sent me a refund check.

bullgator

I’m going along with those that think it was just a defective piece of brass from the factory. It was probably to thin at that point on the inside where a visual inspection would have missed it. I would also guess it was an isolated occurrence and the rest are good to go.
Hornady would probably appreciate letting them know so they can connect the dots with any other similar failures.

bullgator

I had a piece or two of Federal Premium brass do this same sort of hairline cracking before. I sent their customer service a jpeg pic and they sent me a refund check.
I’ve had Remington ammo crack up at the shoulder, but never that close to the base.

rosewood

Is it possible there was some corrosion at that point near the webbing? I have seen cases do that that had a bit of green corrosion on it.

Rosewood

chase870

Possum Sox
Is it possible there was some corrosion at that point near the webbing? I have seen cases do that that had a bit of green corrosion on it.

Rosewood
If it had any it was on the inside of the case. I ended up with 8 cases of this ammo. It all has the same Lot #