Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Thanks Triple C!

My preference on tractors is for the ones that "start" when I get to camp! :)

Canuck5

Dry soil planting .... but applies the same to any seeding we do.

Dry soil planting-1.JPGdry soil planting-2.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck5

Hey Canuck, I’ve got a throw n mow question for you. If I were to overseed some cereal grain and brassica into some of my perennial clover plots early-mid Sep and then ran over them with a cultipacker or my big drag flipped over, do you think I would get enough seed to soil contact for decent germination? I’m going to try and not break any ground this year if I can help it.

I think this is exactly what I am going to do with some of my plots (thanks David!). I'll broadcast a 1/2 rate (maybe less) of perennial clover, a light rate of a cereal grain and maybe a smattering of a couple other things, we'll see. Then run my cultipacker over top, disturbing the soil a little, but maybe not too much.

My goal will be to help seed to soil contact of the new seed, press in the seed that my old clover has already dropped, while not hurting the old clover that I know is still there and not bring up too much additional weed seed.

I still don't see any rain in the forecast and I may change my mind, but under the conditions I have today, this seems like a good option. When the rains do come, I know my old clover will be back.

davidhelmly

I think this is exactly what I am going to do with some of my plots (thanks David!). I'll broadcast a 1/2 rate (maybe less) of perennial clover, a light rate of a cereal grain and maybe a smattering of a couple other things, we'll see. Then run my cultipacker over top, disturbing the soil a little, but maybe not too much.

My goal will be to help seed to soil contact of the new seed, press in the seed that my old clover has already dropped, while not hurting the old clover that I know is still there and not bring up too much additional weed seed.

I still don't see any rain in the forecast and I may change my mind, but under the conditions I have today, this seems like a good option. When the rains do come, I know my old clover will be back.

My plan is to do the same after a substantial rain but since I have the planter now I will use it with the discs straight for minimum soil disturbance, drop the seed and the cultipacker will press it all down.
Like you I see no rain coming, I haven't even bought seed yet.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Nope, a Farmall C ..... My younger brother owns it now.

The C and 200 are very similar. I think the C has more HP.
I own a Farmall 200 that has been sitting in a shelter for 13 years. I may piddle with it some after I retire next year.

Canuck5

Some annual clovers response to soil ph

Clover and soil ph.JPG

Canuck5

My Father hated weeds ...... so bad that we'd be driving by one of our fields and he'd see one lonely pigweed sticking up above the soybeans and he'd stop the truck and make me run out and pull the derned thing. But he was, in many ways a perfectionist and most of his property bordered traveled roads, so he always felt like his crops had to be the best they could be.

Long, long before GPS, you could shoot an arrow down one of his straight rows and never touch a plant. Rows had to be perfect too!

Anyway, good (organic) weed control has a lot to do with timing "when" to plant and how you manage the ground. No-till or throw and mow might be good options, but not always perfect, but then again, we don't need our plots to be perfect (I'm learning). Herbicides certainly can be used but just be careful with them, read the instructions and more isn't always better.

Tilling the ground is good weed control. Think about it. Till the soil (not too deep), let the weed seeds germinate, till again and you've killed a batch of weed seeds. Do it again and you've killed some more. Yes, you are burning organic matter in the soil and that's a problem, but there are worse things you can do, in particular, for leased properties.

So, kill off as many weeds in your seed bank as you can. Plant when it is the right time for the crop(s) you want to grow. Fertilize and lime accordingly. Give that crop the best chance of coming out of the ground and going gang busters, as quickly as it can so it covers the soil and not let anything else germinate.

Fall planting, timing is an example. Some weeds in your seed bank will be killed off by frost, if they are young and tender, but your wheat, oats, turnips, radishes, clover, will not be harmed, cover the soil and keep weeds at bay. Some plants are adapted, to keep other plants (weeds) from germinating, either from a chemical release or "shade". Allelopathy

https://extension.psu.edu/weed-management-in-organic-cropping-systems

Weed Control.JPGAllelopathy.JPG

Canuck5

Canuck5

Just another "why it's important to do a soil test and get your ph and nutrients up" quote.

Yield loss and soil ph.JPG

Canuck5

Each plant, we plant for deer, may have other advantages and benefits for our soil

Cover crop advantages and the best choice to fill each need.JPG

Canuck5

On my timber properties, as the tree's grow, my food plots get more and more shade. Some plots are 1/4 acre, some are 1/2, but most aren't much bigger than that, so I was trying to find some research that will help guide me on my planting options that will grow well, yet the deer will still benefit.

Hog peanuts are the most shade tolerant plant there is (that I've never heard of). Everything else is less shade tolerant.

https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/jrnl/2007/nrs_2007_vansambeek_002.pdf

Shade tolerance.JPG
Shade tolerance 1.JPG
Shade tolerance 2.JPG

Kdog

Great info, but keep in mind they are called hog peanuts for a reason.

Canuck5

LOL!!! You're right! I don't even know where you could buy seed! I was more interested in clover selections. I don't need to encourage any more $#!@@#$$ hogs! LOL