Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
:fine::fine::fine::fine::fine:wheat and crimson seems like a great choice.

We're going to call that the "Crakajak Mix! A suprise (hopefully) in every plot!" Wheat is sooooooooooo easy to germinate even on top of the ground and crimson will get going this fall ..... hard to beat and add in the amount of forage it produces!!!!!

Canuck5

But alas, this trumps the Crakajak Mix ..... not even in the same ball field!!! They are dropping now and who knows how long they will drop for this year. All I know, is that there is no hurry for me to put seed in the ground, with these dropping near by! Focus on the acorns!

And this year, it appears to be a bumper crop, in my back yard.

Attachments

• Acorns1.jpg
    Acorns1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 613

Canuck5

If you don't have a hand spreader yet, to spread your small seeds, I've used this Solo 421S spreader for a couple of years and it has worked pretty good. Easy to clean up.

Attachments

• solo.JPG
    solo.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 604

fellybbob

In Manchester, I've been quoted $75/bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellybbob View Post
what would be a fair price for 50# bag of crimson clover and if anyone knows of a store near Waycross or Valdosta

Hey Manchester is a little far. been checking around the area and most of the seed store have the mix stuff which doesn't look too promising and we want to plant the Crakajak Mix

Canuck5

Well, just check and see if they will "order" the wheat and crimson separately. Most feed & seed places can place an order on Tuesday and have it arrive with their next shipment on Monday, kind of thing. Worth a try!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
But alas, this trumps the Crakajak Mix ..... not even in the same ball field!!! They are dropping now and who knows how long they will drop for this year. All I know, is that there is no hurry for me to put seed in the ground, with these dropping near by! Focus on the acorns!

Looks like it will be a good year for acorns. I am seeing white,red already making,The persimmons are still green,peach tree collapsed from to much fruit as well as lost limbs on my 80 year old pear tree.But the deer love the fruit I piled up off the trees.

Canuck5

It will be interesting this year!!!!

Canuck5

PH logarithmic scale ...... If 7 is neutral, a ph of 6 is 10 times more acidic. A ph of 5 is 100 times more acidic. A ph of 4 is 1000 times more acidic ......... That's why we see some soil samples come back telling us we need lots of tons/acre of lime, to correct the soil ph.

Attachments

• ph chart.JPG
    ph chart.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 566

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellybbob View Post
what would be a fair price for 50# bag of crimson clover and if anyone knows of a store near Waycross or Valdosta

Hey Manchester is a little far. been checking around the area and most of the seed store have the mix stuff which doesn't look too promising and we want to plant the Crakajak Mix

Farmers supply in Valdosta should have their seed in in the next few weeks.Give them a call 229-242-9911.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

There isn't anything I have planted that ever took the place of some really sweet white oak acorns.You got any deer in your back yard?
Here is my train of thought on acorns.
Acorns fall on ground, does find and eat acorns,Buck find does,eat acorns, hunter shoots buck,rinse and repeat.

Canuck5

There isn't anything I have planted that ever took the place of some really sweet white oak acorns.You got any deer in your back yard?:fine:
Here is my train of thought on acorns.
Acorns fall on ground, does find and eat acorns,Buck find does,eat acorns, hunter shoots buck,rinse and repeat.

A good plan!!! All I have in my backyard is those darned tree rats!!!!

Amoo

If you don't have a hand spreader yet, to spread your small seeds, I've used this Solo 421S spreader for a couple of years and it has worked pretty good. Easy to clean up.

The fact that this spreader isn't red makes me sad on the inside.

Canuck5

Lol!!!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
The fact that this spreader isn't red makes me sad on the inside.

They both can get you in trouble with the better 1/2 if you spend to much time and money on it.:rofl:

Canuck5

Amoo

attachment.php

Ok Canuck, you re-posted this in my thread and after really spending some time thinking about it, I'd like to have a nerdy discussion about it. I'm not doubting your source here, but the numbers for Phos just don't make sense to me.

Nitrogen and K track about how I would expect, you gain a moderate percentage more use per unit of pH change AND that change is relatively linear. Then we have Phos, again relatively linear gains, be it small, then suddenly the flood gates open at some magic point between 6-7 and we get it all? Just doesn't seem right.

Canuck5

Well, Chemistry is above my pay scale, however that is exactly what it is. There's lots that I have already posted about it and certainly more that can be found on the subject.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/nut...tional/soil-fertility/soil-acidity-and-aglime

That's not a chart that I made up, but one which I copied and pasted, for it's simple explanation on the effects of having excess Hydrogen atoms (acid) in your soil, that bind up Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium and not make them available to your plants to use. It's Chemistry ... at some point, a more neutral soil begins to release the N P K and make it available to plants. Looks like the P reacts differently to soil ph for some reason, but I don't have an answer to give as to why.

PH is not a straight line, linear scale ..... it's a logarithmic. See post 89. Your 4.2 soil ph is about 1000 times more acidic than a neutral ph of 7. A ph of 6, is only 10 times more acidic than 7 ...... a lot less Hydrogen ions floating around, than a 4.2 ph. A lot less Hydrogen causing problems for your NPK.

Not sure if this helps ..... but smarter minds than mine have spent lots of time, energy and money to determine what farmers need to do, to get maximum performance out of their soil. Try it yourself ..... this fall, plant a small area that you don't lime and compare that to the area you've limed, next spring. Then compare the unlimed plants, to the chart in post 76 and see what nutrients those plants didn't get.

Wished I was smarter, but there are some things I just take as fact, when there has been so much research done on it. I just try to get us all steered in the right direction, to have the greatest chance of success, without reinventing the wheel. Really, all I am helping with, is just the "basics".