Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I bet that's a good book! I've seen him in several video's!!!

Canuck5

Some good information in here. I'll add that when you see the locations of the burn piles, they definitely have added lots of P&K to the soil (potash), but wood ash is also high in calcium ...... which helps neutralize soil ph ..... just like lime does. It takes a lot more wood ash to have the same affect as lime, but that may be one of the biggest factors here. Like George Shu says ...... lime (wood ash) is the poor mans fertilizer! :)

https://www.growingdeer.tv/#/more-deer-more-food-better-deer-hunting

Canuck5

And with a neutralized soil, more nutrients become available to your plants

Acidic soils.JPG

davidhelmly

Some good information in here. I'll add that when you see the locations of the burn piles, they definitely have added lots of P&K to the soil (potash), but wood ash is also high in calcium ...... which helps neutralize soil ph ..... just like lime does. It takes a lot more wood ash to have the same affect as lime, but that may be one of the biggest factors here. Like George Shu says ...... lime (wood ash) is the poor mans fertilizer! :)

https://www.growingdeer.tv/#/more-deer-more-food-better-deer-hunting
That was a good episode, I just watched it. ?

Canuck5

https://www.growingdeer.tv/#/spring-food-plots-cover-crop-benefits-with-the-buffalo-system

This episode about water infiltration hit home, for me, because this weekend we brought in another 9 tons of lime and spread it on a couple of brand new "logging deck" food plots and on a couple of existing food plots, that were logged 2 years ago. I doubt on my new logging decks, that I could get 2" of water to drain away in 2 hours! We went ahead and spread the lime and I tilled it in the best I could. Maybe only penetrating the soil an inch or 2 .... maybe.

This picture is of Durana (and weeds and grasses) on a logging deck that I replanted last fall. It's now breaking up that soil for me, or at least in the top few inches. The white is from the lime we just spread on it. A second application over 2 years, since my soil ph was inDurana -2.jpg the high 4's.

Canuck5

Organic matter .... wished I had more of it, but this year, I will be down to tilling only about 20% of my food plots and only because some of them are brand new and others just need a change.

We are definitely getting into the heat of the summer, but organic matter will help hold whatever moisture is there and also help keep the soil a little cooler.

Organic Matter.JPGOrganic Matter-1.JPGOrganic Matter-2.JPG

Canuck5

Looks like we've got a dry, hot summer ahead of us. Just thought I would put this out there. There are lots of areas of the USA, where farmers have to deal with lack of rain on a regular basis.

Dry soil planting.JPG

Triple C

Canuck...Put out our 1st ever exclusion cage in one of our clover plots back in April. We have not had rain in about 4 weeks so the clover is on verge of going dormant but is still the greenest thing we have growing. Interesting enough...the clover in the exclusion cage is already about 4 inches higher than outside. I'm amazed at the volume of clover deer, and...unfortunately pigs, eat. I will post up a pic next time down. Let's pray for rain!!!

Canuck5

Canuck...Put out our 1st ever exclusion cage in one of our clover plots back in April. We have not had rain in about 4 weeks so the clover is on verge of going dormant but is still the greenest thing we have growing. Interesting enough...the clover in the exclusion cage is already about 4 inches higher than outside. I'm amazed at the volume of clover deer, and...unfortunately pigs, eat. I will post up a pic next time down. Let's pray for rain!!!

The cages certainly tell the tale!!!

Canuck5

Reseeding Forage .......

Reseeding forage.JPGReseeding Forage-1.JPGReseeding Forage-2.JPGReseeding Forage-3.JPG

Canuck5

Because inquiring minds want to know! So, the critters do give a little back, from what they take out of our soils! That's our NPK and various other micro nutrients.

Nutrients -1.JPG

Canuck5

Maximizing Forage Production. If you mow your clover, don't mow too soon and don't mow in drought conditions.

Forage production, maximizing.JPG

Triple C

Canuck - The thought occurred to me today that practically every question asked about food plotting on this forum can be thoroughly answered within the bowels of this thread. It is simply priceless with top quality information on all matters relating to food plotting.

Now...back to the tractor debate.