Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Well, I stole some information from another website ....... but I think it's good information. Shows the acceptable ph things will grow at, as well as minimum soil temperatures needed for germination.

Attachments

• PH rates.JPG
    PH rates.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 7,821

Canuck5

This chart gives us seeding depths and seeding rates ...... remember these numbers are for establishing a crop (or cover crop), by themselves, not necessarily in a mix.

Attachments

• Seeding rates.JPG
    Seeding rates.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 6,043

Canuck5

Advantages of some crops .....

Attachments

• Cover crop advantages.JPG
    Cover crop advantages.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 6,060

Canuck5

Disadvantages of some crops

Attachments

• Disadvantages of some cover crops.JPG
    Disadvantages of some cover crops.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 5,917

Canuck5

Love these threads

Thanks! Just trying to put together things that make sense for "us" and make life a little easier ...... and (for all of us) learn a thing or 2 along the way.

Canuck5

When you have small plots, that only add up to a small % of the overall property, I want to try to maximize how many lbs/acre of plant life I can successfully grow. For fall, the basics are wheat and crimson clover, but I always add Arrowleaf, which helps extend the "feeding season" out till I work it all up in April and plant my cowpeas & soybeans.

Oats are good too, however, I didn't plant any last year and I think they would've frozen out in my area with all the extended cold temps we had. Wheat wasn't fazed by it.

Attachments

• Proudction of cool season crops.JPG
    Proudction of cool season crops.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 6,385

Canuck5

And maximizing crude protein helps with antlers and fawn development. Remember we grow deer from the dirt we have.

Attachments

• Crude protein.JPG
    Crude protein.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 5,658

GeorgeShu

Wonderful stuff dat!
Thanks for sharing this info. It might be nice to get this stuff in a sticky note. Any chance we can sweet talk the mod into doing that?

Canuck5

Thanks George!!

Agree with that George. If we could get our club leaders to realize the value of tilling under the crimson oats and wheat etc in April for added green manure to the soil and plant the cow peas and soybeans in the summer we would be doing great. They always come back with . We been doing it this way for 20 years it works just fine . They let there plots grow up to waist high don't lime. Just go in a Bushhog it to darn near dirt leave the grass clumps run a plow over it and throw some seed out and lightly disk it in a call it done. They have no idea how much better they would be doing but doing like y'all do and I and others there know to do. Just want listen so it's either the few of us do it our way and let them do there own thing.

Triple C

Thanks for "Round 2" of Fall Food for Thought

Great stuff Canuck! Been looking forward to the second version of this thread firing up again. Found myself checking out last year's thread 1st thing every morning and know I will do the same with version II of this thread. Love all the input from the guys that contribute and appreciate you getting it started again!

Last edited:

SakoL61R

Excellent information, Canuck. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to this year's thread!

Canuck5

Great stuff Canuck! Been looking forward to the second version of this thread firing up again. Found myself checking out last year's thread 1st thing every morning and know I will do the same with version II of this thread. Love all the input from the guys that contribute and appreciate you getting it started again!

Input is always great!!! We need lots of it!

Canuck5

Thanks guys!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Great info Canuck5.Guess it doesn't hurt that you a farm boy.

Canuck5

Great info Canuck5.Guess it doesn't hurt that you a farm boy.

LOL ... that was a long time ago ...I've learned how to copy and paste, well ...... some things did stick with me, following my Dad, in a field, holding a hoe .....

Canuck5

What inoculant to use .....

Attachments

• inoculants.JPG
    inoculants.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 5,667