Fall Foodplots

So were on a new piece of property in Echols county. The property is mostly pine and the soil is not the greatest in some areas. I put in summer plots last month and I'm now thinking about what to plant for fall plots. Anyone have any ideas or experience in this area?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I hunt in a county pretty close to Echols . We planted buck forage oats last year with great success . Actually planted all plots with a summer mix with mostly icp, then when we planted our fall plots we put icp’ sin with oats , gave them something to eat in plots til we had a frost . Plan on doing same thing this year

Ihunt

Oats are hard to beat for a fall plot. Easy to grow and the deer like them. Can be had cheap or expensive like Buck Forage.

Bushhog Bob

I have planted winter wheat and different kind of oats, including Buck Forage Oats over the last few years. But last fall, I planted Wrens Abruzzi Rye to try something different and I will be planting it again this fall. I had more pictures of deer and turkeys eating the Abruzzi Rye than I ever had of the other plantings.

jammeri5

I’m a clover fan. I planted buck forage oats last fall after reading a bunch about it. I spilt the plot with that and imperial whitetail clover. Most deer would walk thru the oats to eat the clover. I sprayed the grass in the clover and have mowed it once this summer. It still looks decent and holds some deer. I plan to add more clover plots this fall

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Cool season seed.JPG
Peak Utilization.JPG
Radish 1-10-16.jpg
Turnips.jpg

I've done Austrian Winter Peas, but they get eaten very early, and I just can't plant enough acreage of them, to make it worth while. I've done chicory and when I plant it again, I will just do it in strips because it complicates what herbicides can be used.

You have to try everything and see what your deer prefer and most importantly, when!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
As you can see in the last picture, having a "buffet" of a lot of things is a good strategy