Family geneology

WayneB

had one ancestor on the mayflower, died first winter. Another arrived a year or so later and migrated to near Statesboro and his descendants are still in the area.

BriarPatch99

Traced my Kirkland side of the family to Robert Kirkland 1610 .....
The Steptoe side back to Sir Philip Steptoe 1600
Youngbloods to 1756

I have traced my Wife's family all the way back to Heinrich Fowler Von Suchsen 876-956...

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Best I can do is 4 of my Dad's Uncles (Ansel, Bennie, Tyre, and Wilbur Rakestraw) raced in nascar. 2 of them (Bennie and Wilbur) in the July 4th 1959 Daytona race.

Wilbur Rakestraw 1959.jpg

Still can't believe they raced convertibles back then.

huntersluck

My sister did our Dads side a several years ago traced them back to the ship records they came in on in Charleston SC then to Monticello GA then some to Paulding county then some to Polk county then some a little bit here and there.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
My sister did our Dads side a several years ago traced them back to the ship records they came in on in Charleston SC then to Monticello GA then some to Paulding county then some to Polk county then some a little bit here and there.
If they spent more than 10 years in Paulding, odds are 1 in 3 that I'm kin to them.

gb1194

A distant cousin also did our family’s years ago, even had it printed in hardback. I was fortunate enough to get a copy. She traced it back to mid 1600. Ancestors came over to Virginia from Wales in late 1600’s. Settled and ended up receiving land grants in South Carolina in the low country for service in the Revolutionary War .My 5th Great Grandfather and all of his brothers and a set of first cousins that fought for the Confederacy. My grandfather didn’t make it home, lucky for me he had already sired a couple of sons before he went off to war. There is a photo in the book of 4 of his brothers at a Confederate Army reunion, two of the brothers had empty sleeves in the photo. My grandfathers daddy and his sister left South Carolina for Georgia in the late 1800’s and here I am! Interesting stuff to learn about the ancestors.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I’m going to but never have. I know a good bit but still want to. I was skittish about the DNA thing until my wife pointed out that since I was in the military “they” already have my DNA.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Traced ours back to great granddad and his brother sailing from Sweden to Savannah around 1890,s.Before that there isn,t much info available.
Family stories were they stowed away on a ship.True story is they both bought tickets.
GGranddad migrated as a bridge engineer across south Ga and ended up in N.E. Ala.

Wire Nut

I’ve got one part of the family traced back to when they left Dublin and landed in Virginia and another part traced to the “Dawes Roll”. That’s how I got my citizenship in the Cherokee Nation

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I know quite a bit about my mother's side, but not so much my daddy's. A member on here reached out to me & helped me locate my great grandparents graves in Holmes County FL. Learned we share a common ancestor 4 or 5 generations back.
It's very interesting, but be careful. There's some things you may uncover that are shocking! ??

NickDeer

Found some more stuff. My Great Grandpa was a PFC in WW2. My Great Great Grandpa was a Private in WW1. On the other side of the family my Great Great Great Grandpa died fighting for the confederacy in 1865. And apparently there's a busy road in Roswell named after them that they lived on.

JB0704

The Original JB
If they spent more than 10 years in Paulding, odds are 1 in 3 that I'm kin to them.

My son found 5 generations buried in the same cemetary in Paulding from the 1800's. I grew up in Paulding, but neither of my parents were from anywhere around (diddy from Bama n mama from PA). They just moved to Paulding later on and there was no family in the county at that time. That was one of the more interesting things he discovered.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I've dug into it. Had kin come over on the mayflower.

westcobbdog

It's an addictive hobby and can be both rewarding and frustrating. A lot of what you see on the internet is simply someone else's research, so it could be spotty or spot on. I am an ancestry member and the urge to research kinda comes and goes. Have a wealth of info on my Dads side but still the trail goes cold in the late 1700's. My 4-5 great grandfather got a land grant or bought land and came in a covered wagon from NC to East Point Ga about 1820. His farm eventually dissected by I-285. Have found maybe 15-20 Rebs and a yank or two. My grandma was a related to Draytons of SC so that connects me to that line but also to my maybe 7 G Grandfather, Christopher Gasden of the don't tread on me flag. I am mostly English and Scottish. May be related to Robert the Bruce, too. Lots more research to do but I also enjoy researching others lines almost as much.