Famous atheist says he identifies as a 'cultural Christian' and is 'horrified' by promotion of Islamic holiday

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

Thought this was an interesting article in two aspects:
1) Dawkins draws a clear moral distinction between Christianity and Islam. That in itself is a major philosophical shift from “DNA neither cares nor knows. DNA just is. And we dance to its music.”
2) Dawkin's tone does indeed seem to have become tempered since his authoring of The God Delusion.

WaltL1

I wouldnt read too much into it. His bottom line is still.....
"It's true that statistically, the number of people who actually believe in Christianity is going down and I'm happy with that.
"I do not believe a single word of the Christian faith."
"To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird," he wrote. "Do those people who hold up the Bible as an inspiration to moral rectitude have the slightest notion of what is actually written in it?"
The rest is just acknowledgement that he feels the tenants of Christianity are less dangerous than that of Islam. I would guess thats something that most Christians and most A/As would agree on.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I wouldnt read too much into it. His bottom line is still.....

The rest is just acknowledgement that he feels the tenants of Christianity are less dangerous than that of Islam. I would guess thats something that most Christians and most A/As would agree on.
Yeah, he is picking which sister he likes better out of the conjoined twins.

WaltL1

I didn't. The headline is a bit misleading to say the least
First - I really dont know squat about Dawkins other than he's an outspoken Atheist. I honestly have never seen an entire vid of his, just a few minutes of one posted here.
But I will give him a brownie point or two for at least acknowledging certain things. I mean a rabid, brain washed Atheist couldnt even bring himself to say that churches can be beautiful.
At least thats a sign of being reasonable.