farm pond weed control

lampern

Do triploid grass carp eat those plants?

Some plants they eat, some they don't.

Pretty sure tilapia are illegal in Ga, they eat plants too

doomtrpr_z71

Pretty sure diquat would clear them up but I'm not 100% , are they plants or algae? Tilapia aren't illegal but they will die as soon as the water cools off.

gadeerwoman

Plants. Don't have a problem with algae...at the moment. Supposedly the grass carp do eat some of it. If using a chemical we have to use something that doesn't involve spraying (no access to equipment to spray).

doomtrpr_z71

Naiad will be controlled by diquat but Chara will require copper sulfate, you're gonna have to have a sprayer though.

Kdog

We used copper sulfate at the old house in a backpack sprayer. Make sure you read the directions or you will kill more than the plants.

paulito

Chara is technically an algae. Grass carp should eat both. Tilapia ARE NOT approved for stocking in georgia. DNR consider them an exotic species. I believe you can stock them in SC and Florida though but don't quote me on that.

As far as treatment, diquat should work but could get pricey depending on how big an area you need to treat if you don't have spray equipment as you would basically be bucket treating. takes a good bit of chemical to treat that way. copper sulfate powder(sugar) or the larger granular you can put in a laundry sack and just motor around the pond all around the chara and let it dissolve into the water in the treatment area. As said before be careful with the copper sulfate. if you are north of the fall line you probably have soft water and in soft water it can kill fish real quick if you use too much.

hate to say it (being in the business) but when it comes to weed control in your pond it pays to at least consult with a professional if not have them treat it for you. seen lots of fish kills and other adverse results due to "just trying" something cuz so and so said it would work. lots of money wasted too treating a misidentified plant with the wrong herbicide for the job

doomtrpr_z71

I stand corrected, I thought the forage for bass article with tilapia was in gon, it must have been elsewhere.

across the river

Reward would probably be the best for the Naiid, but Propeller would probably be the best bet if you are treating both. From preventive maintenance standpoint, aeration will take care of a lot of issues in the summer.

Bream Pole

copper sulfate kills weeds and algae fast and the fast die off takes huge amounts of oxygen out of the water killing fish --the big ones first. I'd try diquat first. Can scatter aroiund edge. it will spread.

shotgun

Those with ponds, what do you use to get rid of naiad and chara? How and when do you apply?
Consult a professional! I know some that are on the DIY program and have spent big bucks and no better if not worst than when they started. You have to consider acreage water flow gallons per minute volume its more than just spraying believe me.

If you have the means to fluctuate the water level try lowering it a foot or two for a few days then bring it back up, that worked for me on a pond I had in Fla, it’s definitely worth a try to not use chemicals.