Fast or heavy

BarnesAddict

Pray do enlighten me... I'll listen, but not interested enough to dig for it.

I push a 45cal 300gr bullet at 2,900fps out of my muzzleloader. That's faster than my 30-06 handloads with a 180gr bullet at 2750fps.
Shooters are easily breaking 2,300fps and up to 2,600fps using BH209 out of rifles dedicated for heavy charges.
Guys are shooting muzzleloaders, sidelocks, to 1,000yds and have been for decades.

The new "modernized" muzzleloaders are shooting 1 mile hitting steel.

New "modernized" muzzleloaders have far passed the 30-06.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I push a 45cal 300gr bullet at 2,900fps out of my muzzleloader. That's faster than my 30-06 handloads with a 180gr bullet at 2750fps.
Shooters are easily breaking 2,300fps and up to 2,600fps using BH209 out of rifles dedicated for heavy charges.
Guys are shooting muzzleloaders, sidelocks, to 1,000yds and have been for decades.

300 grainer at 2900???

Sheesh! That oughta get attention, ON BOTH ends!!

I stand corrected, and tip my hat to ya.

Enjoy that thing.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
The .54 cal is an over and under(sights on both barrels, they rotate) so I use 425 grain in each barrel.

For the 50 cal I load a 385 grain. I have speed reloaders in 385 and round ball. I use round ball for a fast follow up shot if multiple deer are on the menu

buff.pngbuff2.png

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !

I never knew those velocities were possible.

How fast would a .45 cal 180 grain be in the ML?

BarnesAddict

I never knew those velocities were possible.

How fast would a .45 cal 180 grain be in the ML?

Customs are a whole different breed of muzzleloaders, not like grandpa's rifle.

I have no clue how fast one could send a 180gr bullet, but it would be blistering.

mlandrum

I've had few hogs and deer carry my .270 Power Belt much over 20 yards. I use loose powder 80 grains.IMG_0746.JPG

leesmith

Yep

Buford_Dawg

Switched to 245 grain Powerbelts many years ago with 100 grain 777. Very accurate and deadly in my TC Omega and CVA Optima. I keep my shots less than 100 yards. Dont get alot of blood in most cases, but generally the animal is laying within 25 steps of where it was shot.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
I shoot a 300 grain .458 cal Nosler Partition out of a T/C Encore. 110 grains of BH209. Now I don't know how fast it is but I know how it shoots. I once shot a doe at 182 yards with it. DRT. Drops 6-7 inches at 200 with a sight in 3" high at 100. I'm almost out of the NP so I'm thinking of moving to a .458 Barnes. Got lots of sabots for 458.

Darkhorse

I killed my first muzzleloader deer, a 7 point, in 1976. I was shooting .530 round balls patched with .018 pillow ticking. The ball penetrated completely through and the deer was DRT.
Can't count or remember the number of deer and wild hogs I've taken with the .530 round ball, weight averages 220 to 224 grains. I've shot them with a low charge of 70 grains 3fg to a high of 120 grains of 2fg. Nearly all of them complete pass throughs. I don't remember ever feeling the need for 30 '06 performance out of a caplock or flintlock.
The name of the game use to be defined by how well you can shoot your rifle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My muzzleloader is zeroed at 200
I said me, not you. My muzzleloaders have open sights and are "zeroed" at 50 yards. :) I personally enjoy muzzleloader hunting as a short-range woods hunting experience. I know they are capable of much more, I have a couple friends who shoot long-range silhouette matches with them out to 1000 yards, and that's traditional mls. The modern muzzleloaders are fine, capable weapons, but they just hold zero interest for me, personally.