Father in Law wants a beaver

hallroyal

Hello! I'm in the Athens area and my elderly father in law wants to get into tanning some beaver hides. I would like to trap/hunt some beavers and process them and give him the green skins for tanning. Trouble is, my hunting camp just has coons, which I'm going to harvest as well, but if anyone has a reason to get rid of some problematic beavers I would love to have the opportunity. I've never trapped before but I would love to give it a shot or if there is an opportunity to shoot a beaver I would definitely want to give it a shot! Hope everyone is having a happy new year!

oldguy

Hello! I'm in the Athens area and my elderly father in law wants to get into tanning some beaver hides. I would like to trap/hunt some beavers and process them and give him the green skins for tanning. Trouble is, my hunting camp just has coons, which I'm going to harvest as well, but if anyone has a reason to get rid of some problematic beavers I would love to have the opportunity. I've never trapped before but I would love to give it a shot or if there is an opportunity to shoot a beaver I would definitely want to give it a shot! Hope everyone is having a happy new year!
If you know someone with property along the Oconee River that would be a good place to start. Otherwise ride the back roads 'til you see a beaver dam/sign. Go to the nearest house, tell 'em what you're up to, and request permission. You may need to jump back 'cause they're liable to try to hug you when you say you want to trap beaver! W/o trapping experience 330 Conibears are probably your best bet. I'm sure U-Tube has videos, Word of warning - get a pair of setting tongs, Conibears are big strong traps that can hurt you if you're not careful. Hope this helps.

SemperFi

If you ever come to middle georgia for anything just let me know. I catch a good many beaver each year. I wouldn’t mind giving you a few pelts from the ones I catch.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
didnt know if Quack or Kinniemac would be the first one.