Favorite firearm to deer hunt with dogs?

bilgerat

Senior
I use either My old Marlin lever gun in 44 mag or My old marlin in 444 , killed the one in My avatar with the 444 up in Ontario back in 2014, heres a few pics from that trip

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    689.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    497.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Back when it was legal to Run Dogs in Randolph County Alabama we hunted in a lease that was a big mix of thick woods, hardwoods, power lines and cutover. My dad always used a Browning BAR .243 with a scope, didn’t matter the terrain. I hunted with a Remington 11-87 12ga with 00 buck in the woods and my BAR .270 on Power line and in Cutover. Man I miss it and would love to do it again!

What is your favorite firearm to use to deer hunt with dogs? Is it a shotgun, a rifle, do you use an optic, or iron sights?

I hunt a mix of woods, along with some pipelines, where shots can be at a distance. That said, I find the best all around for me, is to use a rifle, with a variable scope. I use a Browning Bar 30-06, with a 4-12x50 riflescope. It works well for an all-around firearm. If I strictly hunted the woods, with some open and heavy cover, I'd probably opt for a Marlin 30-30, with a 1-4x or a 1-6x riflescope.

Many folks may prefer shotguns, I'm just curious to see what others do, thx!
I live in South Georgia. If you are invited to a dog drive in Georgia you better be carrying a shotgun. I grew up in Mississippi where dog hunting with a rifle was a norm . 3006 semi automatic rifles were used in Mississippi. Buckshot and a 12 gauge for dog drives in Georgia.

specialk

Belgium a-5, 12g, modified 2 3/4inch, 0 and 1 buck in the woods.....belgium '06 open sites in fields/open areas....

firewalker78

I mainly carry a 12 gauge that's been patterned to what it likes. Remington 1100 with #1 or Stoeger 3500 with 00. But I've been trying to get on one with my Marlin 336 lever 30-30 open sites, haven't had the chance yet. What are some of the better low power scopes you guys like?

lonewolf247

What are some of the better low power scopes you guys like?

There are several great options for low power scopes. Back in my early hunting years, many folks used 2-7X, 2.5-8x, or something similar to that. Now-a-days, the 1-4x, and the 1-6x scopes, have become really popular options, with the AR-15 crowd.

Basically any quality brand scope in a lower power, would be fine.

I come up hunting with dogs. Rifles were forbidden since you generally fired in the direction being driven and dogs and drivers were in there. No firing up or down the stand line, period. No moving from where you were set out until someone come to get you. Buckshot only.

ThatredneckguyJamie

I live in South Georgia. If you are invited to a dog drive in Georgia you better be carrying a shotgun. I grew up in Mississippi where dog hunting with a rifle was a norm . 3006 semi automatic rifles were used in Mississippi. Buckshot and a 12 gauge for dog drives in Georgia.
Grew up dog hunting my entire life in South GA and NE Fl, my Uncles always had a rifle and a shotgun in the front seat. Sitting on top of the box over looking a clear cut with a rifle was the norm, if you were in the S crossing then you better have the shotgun. Might not be the same for all of GA...but we always used the right tool for the circumstances

SakoL61R

Of the dog hunts I've been on in the GA low country, it was shotguns only. Rem 1100 12 ga, 2.75, 00 buck with the vent rib, two bead 30 in full barrel.
Sometimes, depending on the area and hunt, some "select" hunters had rifles to cover wide open areas / clear cuts.

pacecars

Most of the time I used a scoped bolt action in .270, .280 or .30-06 when running dogs. Most shots were at deer that would stop before crossing a road or trail. I have shot a few walking or running but most were stationary

georgia_home

Realize ima bit late on this thread. Leaving in 24 hours to hunt back home.

we stand hunt and drive (2 legged dogs). Shotgun with slugs on stand. (Shotgun, straight wall cartridge only state) and switch to buck on drives. condition set by land owner.

As far as gun, it’s whatever owner has laying around. i am not interested in going through tsa with my own. So, i just use his. Preferred, when I take my own, is 1187 or 870. 12g, 3” 00buck, or 2 3/4” sluggers or brenneke ko. If available. Otherwise whatever owner provides.

i do hope there’s ammo there this year. There’s usually a stash, but with the ammo shortages, ya never know.

Big7

The Oracle
870. Have had it for years.

Just got a new TriStar Viper that I'd like to try because it's a self- shucker. Only Dove hunted with it this year so far. Great shotgun.

Iron sights for me with deer being run by dogs.
You will likely be be shooting at running deer.

Big7

The Oracle
Ive been on two dog hunts years ago in the SC low country. Seeing some of those people handle shotguns, I wouldn’t step in the woods with anyone carrying a rifle, of any caliber, on a dog hunt.
Exactly :wink: