• Federal Fusion

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Federal Blue Box

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sierra Game king

Votes: 21 13.5%

• Total voters

Stevie Ray

130 gr Sierra Game Kings or Sierra Pro Hunters are what I use most often for handloads in my .270 win, lead cast 170 gr for my 30-30 win and as yet to be determined for the 45-70 I just recently picked up ... these are all used for my hunting. Nosler, Berger or Sierra Match Kings for recreational shooting.

Bobby Bigtime

I shot at West Point WMA range yesterday and gentleman was there preparing for his upcoming elk hunt in Montana. He had a .300 WM that he was shooting HSM ammo with Berger bullets VLDs. he was stacking all of his shots into a nickel size group from his Bergara Ridge. Pretty impressive. I know Berger’s are outstanding target rounds but have heard they are fairly fragile jackets. Any experience hunting with them?
I don't use bergers myself but I know there are local elk hunters here in my area that are having good luck with them in various calibers. I have not heard of any structural issues with them.

rosewood

300 remington ultra mag shooting a 220g Nosler partition at 3120fps. Never had to track a deer.
But how much was left to find? :)

krizia829

Hornady Superformance SST fan over here. They shoot tight groups out of my rifle like reloads! I used to shoot Core Lokt until I tried Hornady and never went back!

HughW2

Went to Wal-Mart the other day searching for ammo and found out that Federal, Wal-Mart and Mossy Oak have a co-promotion product called Deer Thug ammo. Hate the name, but it actually shoots good. First group I fired with my 7 RM was between a half inch and 3/4 inch. It is priced about the same as Federal Fusion and looks similar; possibly the same bullet.

furtaker

Went to Wal-Mart the other day searching for ammo and found out that Federal, Wal-Mart and Mossy Oak have a co-promotion product called Deer Thug ammo. Hate the name, but it actually shoots good. First group I fired with my 7 RM was between a half inch and 3/4 inch. It is priced about the same as Federal Fusion and looks similar; possibly the same bullet.
I use the same stuff in my 7RM. I know they disappeared from the Walmarts around here and was told they aren't made anymore? I still have about 3 boxes left.

They are deer killers. I've killed several with them.

bighonkinjeep

Give me the Accubonds every time. From the 110 .257s, 130gr .277s to the 125, 165 and 180 gr .308s in different cartridges they cant be beat for reliable expansion and penetration at any velocity I've tried em. I've shot and loaded a bunch of SSTs because they're economical and IMO they're pretty much a fragile "varmint bullet. Yes I've killed deer with em but penetration and holding together has been a problem leaving only entrance holes and virtually no blood trail on several occasions unlike the Accubonds. Old cup and core will do the job, but the "shock" of rapidly expanding modern tipped bullets and the toughness of bonded cores and tapered jackets seems to really multiply their effectiveness. Just my $.02

blakely

I've always loaded 150 grain Speer Mag-tips for my 30-06. Started loading them in high school and I'm 51 now. My dad was loading them way before that.

We've killed a bunch of deer with that bullet and Remington pump rifles with Red field wide view scopes.

Sixes

After several years of shooting Barnes triple shock with no issues, the price just got ridiculous. I tried Federal Fusions about 10-11 years ago and have not looked back.

I've killed well over a hundred animals (deer, hogs, yotes, etc) with them with no problems at all. I have recommended them to all my friends and as far as I know, none of them have had any performance or accuracy problems out of the bullets.

I've shot 30 lb hogs to 250+lb hogs and deer in all sizes from 10 yards to 300 yards. I have around a case of the Federal Fusion for my 270 WSM and around a 2 cases for my 300 WSM. I also shoot them out of my .223 when hunting.

The only 2 deer that I can remember not finding were both shot the same evening on a cut soybean field, out of a blind with a rain/heavy mist and around 200 yards. Hindsight being 20/20, I never should have taken the shots. It was a big group of deer and the shots were back to back close to dark. By the time I got to where I thought the deer standing, the rain started and the fog was heavier. I looked and looked but could not even find where they were standing at the shot. Distance is always deceptive on a cut field.

RipperIII

I've killed deer, hawgs and yotes with all of the Noslers in the poll as well as both winchesters and the Federal fusion as listed,...but by far my preferred ammo is the Hornady brand superperformance in either the new ELDx or the cheaper American whitetail...primarily because my Tikka loves them, they shoot to under 1 moa at 100yds consistently and inside of 3" at 200 yds...cold barrel.
Any of the rounds mentioned in the poll will drt any animal when punched through the vitals, so for me,...it's the accuracy that counts.