Fawn Eaters

mossyoakpro

Don't know a number but what I do know is that on our farm 4 years ago if you saw a doe with a fawn it was only a single and usually only every 3rd doe would have that one. Now fast forward to the removal of 26 coyotes and a dozen bobcats and now nearly every doe has at least a single and a lot of them with twins.

The impact that trapping has on the deer herd is very substantial....if you value the deer hunting on your hunting area it is advised that you trap coyotes or pay someone to do so. That comes from first hand experience.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Mossyoak that’s the results I’m hoping to see , I’ve noticed the past few years from trail cams that most every doe appears to be pregnant and not many show back up with fawns

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The impact that trapping has on the deer herd is very substantial....if you value the deer hunting on your hunting area it is advised that you trap coyotes or pay someone to do so. That comes from first hand experience.

That isn't necessarily the case all the time everywhere. There have been several instances where intensive trapping of coyotes has done nothing to improve fawn recruitment.

280 Man

Banned
That isn't necessarily the case all the time everywhere. There have been several instances where intensive trapping of coyotes has done nothing to improve fawn recruitment.

With all due respect, I would bet those instances coincided with environmental issues that cannot be helped! Such as drought, disease, habitat loss or degradation, etc. but given suitable factors the removal of coyotes does help exponentially the vast majority of time.

Doug B.

Honest question here and not trying to be rude but how many coyotes have you actually ever trapped?
I understand your question, but, it really doesn't matter how many he has trapped. I think what he is saying is there has to be a healthy balance between predator and prey. Although we would like to see the coyotes gone, there has to be a balance or there would be too many deer, or too many turkeys instead of a healthy herd.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My thought is that if everyone who turkey or deer hunts would learn to trap we could put a hurting on them, I will continue to do my part !

NGA44

That won't happen. It's easier to do nothing but sit back and complain.
Exactly what I was trying to get at earlier. If our state deer biologist was out there trapping coyotes and teaching others to do the same, then think of how many others may follow suit. Instead, he’s on a public forum saying it may or may not be beneficial because of some biased information on a piece of paper he read one time.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Exactly what I was trying to get at earlier. If our state deer biologist was out there trapping coyotes and teaching others to do the same, then think of how many others may follow suit. Instead, he’s on a public forum saying it may or may not be beneficial because of some biased information on a piece of paper he read one time.

I've personally only run traps a few times, but I'm extremely well informed on the science of the impacts of coyotes on fawns. I've been involved in all the coyote/deer research conducted in Georgia in recent years, but I did none of the trapping. We hired some very experienced GTA trappers for that, so I'm not sure why you expect the deer biologist to be an expert trapper.

I'm not telling anyone not to trap, I'm just saying that it doesn't always accomplish what you want it to. Why would I encourage someone to invest a lot of money in coyote removal if it doesn't work half the time? My recommendation is always to assess your fawn recruitment rates and compare them to regional averages to see what the impacts are before deciding where to allocate often limited resources for wildlife management. If you want to trap recreationally, go for it.

We did do several trapping workshops that we partnered with GTA on that I spearheaded, but we had shortage of manpower and scheduling became too difficult. I expect that to change soon with our new deer management assistance program.

jakebuddy

I think.....
That timing of removal is overlooked. I have noticed that coyotes specifically will fill vacancies in an environment quickly. Just trapping during the season isn’t always effective unless you’re real good.
Charlie aren’t there permits to trap furbearers outside the season for that purpose?

NGA44

I've personally only run traps a few times, but I'm extremely well informed on the science of the impacts of coyotes on fawns. I've been involved in all the coyote/deer research conducted in Georgia in recent years, but I did none of the trapping. We hired some very experienced GTA trappers for that, so I'm not sure why you expect the deer biologist to be an expert trapper.

I'm not telling anyone not to trap, I'm just saying that it doesn't always accomplish what you want it to. Why would I encourage someone to invest a lot of money in coyote removal if it doesn't work half the time? My recommendation is always to assess your fawn recruitment rates and compare them to regional averages to see what the impacts are before deciding where to allocate often limited resources for wildlife management. If you want to trap recreationally, go for it.

We did do several trapping workshops that we partnered with GTA on that I spearheaded, but we had shortage of manpower and scheduling became too difficult. I expect that to change soon with our new deer management assistance program.
I expect the state deer biologist would be well skilled in numerous wildlife management techniques. If you’re not, then where is the foundation that your career should be built upon? A fancy piece of paper from a big university doesn’t qualify someone for a job IMO. Real world experience, or a solid base of hands on knowledge if you will, is what should qualify someone for a job like this.
Can you also run a chainsaw? Operate a tractor to plant food plots? Effectively trap hogs?
My point being that if you don’t know the on the ground, extremely skilled techniques to implement all the findings of this ‘research’ then who are you to tell others they should be doing them.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I expect the state deer biologist would be well skilled in numerous wildlife management techniques. If you’re not, then where is the foundation that your career should be built upon? A fancy piece of paper from a big university doesn’t qualify someone for a job IMO. Real world experience, or a solid base of hands on knowledge if you will, is what should qualify someone for a job like this.
Can you also run a chainsaw? Operate a tractor to plant food plots? Effectively trap hogs?
My point being that if you don’t know the on the ground, extremely skilled techniques to implement all the findings of this ‘research’ then who are you to tell others they should be doing them.

I'm happy to discuss coyote predation on deer in more detail, but I'm not going to entertain personal attacks. If you don't have confidence that I know what I'm talking about, feel free to give me a call and discuss it anytime. 706-557-3260

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I think.....
That timing of removal is overlooked. I have noticed that coyotes specifically will fill vacancies in an environment quickly. Just trapping during the season isn’t always effective unless you’re real good.
Charlie aren’t there permits to trap furbearers outside the season for that purpose?

Coyotes can be trapped all year, but other animals have to be released without a permit. The permit was created mainly with quail in mind, but it could certainly be used for coyotes and bobcats for reducing fawn predation or coons as nest predators. The permits require a written wildlife management plan that demonstrates how that trapping will be used for wildlife management purposes on the property.