Federal trophy bonded bearclaw

hogdgz

Has anyone shot or chrono’d the new federal premium 10mm 180gr trophy bonded bear claw. Box states 1275 at muzzle, not much out there on the net about these. Typically hunt with underwood 180 or 200 xtp but they are non existent right now and I found these federal at a local store and bought two boxes. Hope to shoot a few on paper tommorow and do a water jug test. I am thinking if the velocity is as stated then the penetration on deer should be better than the xtp, any thoughts

Seminole Wind

They shoot great groups and chrono 1350 fps out of a 6" 1911. I shot one buck a friend had wounded and the bullet penetrated the head and down about 8" through neck bones. The recovered bullet had expanded nicely and held together well. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with that load.

hogdgz

They shoot great groups and chrono 1350 fps out of a 6" 1911. I shot one buck a friend had wounded and the bullet penetrated the head and down about 8" through neck bones. The recovered bullet had expanded nicely and held together well. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with that load.
Wow that’s great to hear about the velocity. So I shot about 10 rounds on paper at 25yds through my xdm osp 10mm and the groups were as tight or tighter than the xtp. Also did a water jug test and it stoped in the 3rd jug (Underwood xtp made 4 jugs) and the bullet held together awesome. Just wish I had a chronograph now.

ThatredneckguyJamie

I have been using the federal premium 180 grain vital shok JSP since I got the 10mm, it shoots as good as any FMJ ammo. I am assuming this Bearclaw is a different bullet design than the JSP?

Steven037

I haven’t but I’d like too. I’ve got some Buffalo Bore hard cast and some Buffalo Bore holllow points to try this year.

hogdgz

I have been using the federal premium 180 grain vital shok JSP since I got the 10mm, it shoots as good as any FMJ ammo. I am assuming this Bearclaw is a different bullet design than the JSP?[/QUOTE
I’m not sure. I know the bear claw bonded jsp so probably so. But federal does make a non bonded self defense load in a blue box that is very mild.