Feed soybeans...thoughts/advice

davel

Since protein feed is so high I have considered supplemental feeding with a mix of soybeans and corn. What are your experiences with feeding soybeans? My concerns are storage life, bugs, mold, etc. I have a dry shop and 55 gallon drums to store them in. How long do they keep? Will they get moldy?
Thanks for the help.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Roasted lasts longer and there's already several companies making roasted beans and corn mixed, could probably get totes or a grain wagon filled for way cheaper than bagged if your interested in that.

As long as they stay dry they should be fine for several months to a year but we've always kept them in a bin and periodically ran air over them, can honestly say I've never stored any in a drum. I hope this helps

davel

Roasted lasts longer and there's already several companies making roasted beans and corn mixed, could probably get totes or a grain wagon filled for way cheaper than bagged if your interested in that.

As long as they stay dry they should be fine for several months to a year but we've always kept them in a bin and periodically ran air over them, can honestly say I've never stored any in a drum. I hope this helps
Thanks. I will only be feeding protein for about 4 months. I would love to buy them roasted if I could find a decent price.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Thanks. I will only be feeding protein for about 4 months. I would love to buy them roasted if I could find a decent price.

Rack em up is made in Pelham, Google should find that mills name, I apologize I've forgotten that mills name, and 4s also has a corn roasted bean blend but I've never called to see if they offer a tote (usually 1/2 or 1 ton totes) I'm sure there's some others roasting beans in georgia that's just the only 2 I've used

davel

Rack em up is made in Pelham, Google should find that mills name, I apologize I've forgotten that mills name, and 4s also has a corn roasted bean blend but I've never called to see if they offer a tote (usually 1/2 or 1 ton totes) I'm sure there's some others roasting beans in georgia that's just the only 2 I've used
Thanks I'll check it out.

Only problem with storing them in 55 gallon drums sealed is heat in the summer causes the barrels to sweat inside then they mold. I doubt even being roasted would help as it would still mold. Any kinda bags and you’re likely to have rats get in them even with super sacks. If you could leave the lids open some they could work.

Ihunt

If you want to feed deer through the summer I’d concentrate more on a protein based product. Yes deer will gobble up corn but being a carb it’s not what they need the most during the growing season.

davel

If you want to feed deer through the summer I’d concentrate more on a protein based product. Yes deer will gobble up corn but being a carb it’s not what they need the most during the growing season.
Yeah, I don't feed corn in the spring/summer. I feed protein. Trying to find a comparable product that is more cost effective. That's why I said soybeans. If you feed raw soybeans you have to add some corn to get them eating it. You could probably slowly wean them off of adding corn.

Deerhead

Do you know the cost of Rack em. They do not post pricing on their website. TnX

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Do you know the cost of Rack em. They do not post pricing on their website. TnX

I got them a couple times last year for 17 to 20 a bag, I should have done what your planning and bulk bought a load. On a different note I'm thinking about using the buck muscle crumble this year. I've always fed on the ground but in process of building a few trough feeders, idk that it's any better or worse just want to swap it up this year

Bucaramus

All of it is high any more. Crumble is good stuff and the coons don't really like getting powder in their nose either.