feed troughs or deer feeders

chad3775

I always heard that the feeders scare the deer at least the bucks, wanting to know if anybody had better luck with the feed troughs and if so, whats the best way to build one? I have 2 feeders and wanting to try a feed trough,

DYI hunting

I don't know about troughs, since some deer are shy about putting their heads down in them.

I have had luck with gravity fed pipe feeders in the past. They areJust a big ole 4 inch pvc pipe (camo painted) with a removeable cap tied to a tree. I put a plate size piece of wood at the bottom with drain holes to catch the corn, keep it slightly above ground level, and keep the rain from pooling.

Actually, I feed more squirels than I do deer, but both do eat from them.

And just a note, deer would come running to the sound of my battery powered regular corn feeder in late December thru February when I was feeding them some. (After I stopped hunting the area for the year.) I don't use it except for during the hard parts of the winter when the bucks are trying to recover.

gadeerwoman

Deer get used to eating out of a trough feeder quickly. You just need to make sure that there is plenty of room for a buck to feel safe putting his head in there. And most deer feel safer if they can see all around the feeder so have all sides open. A top that is wider all the way around than the trough itself so that no rain can get into the feed is a must.

ultramag

I like a trough feeder.Although i do have one buck that i have been getting pictures of that is leery of it.I had to feed him 60 yards away on the ground.He will get used to it though.This isa picture of one that i built sunday and watched deer eat out of it yesterday in my backyard.

Attachments

• feeder.JPG
    feeder.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 34,415

huntininmilan

A special note for trough feeders is to have a porous bottom and if possible the sides as well so that the rain that does make it inside can drain easily.......unless you make the top 4 times the size of your trough the wind blown rain will make its way into the trough! Mine are 55 gallon plastic barrels cut in half long ways with very small holes drilled all the way around......seems to work very good especially with corn and soy beans mixed!

MoeBirds

quackwacker:"Bucks Hate them....heres proof..........:cool: :cool: "

Man that's a dandy buck:hair: !! ...You lookin to take him this season, or give him another year or two :bounce: ?!

........your pics are "proof", that coons hate them troughs too apparently:D !?

quackwacker

already taken............

B2R

We took him last year heres a picture of him on the ground.

It wasnt me that got him but we were all proud!

Attachments

• Ricky big 8.JPG
    Ricky big 8.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 2,877

MoeBirds

I like how that fella's holdin the deer's ears back with his pinkies :bounce: !?

No need IMO, again nice buck:cool: !!