Feeders in areas with Hogs

ssramage

Looking for some feedback. I'm getting ready to set up a couple of private stand locations at my hunting club and want to put a couple of feeders out as well. In these locations, I reasonably expect to see hogs, especially once I put corn out. I actually don't mind their presence (at least not right now), but I'd prefer a feeder that won't get knocked down or destroyed. I also want something that will hold a good bit of corn so that I'm not having to fill them constantly. Ideally a spin feeder so that I can manage the time and amount of corn being put out.

Any thoughts/recommendations on feeders to look at?

Big Boy 2001

ssramage Put a pole between two trees, use a 2 fold pully and rope and hang a spinner with a 250 lb hopper so bottom of feeder is 6ft off ground

ShortMagFan

Academy Big A. Use rebar to stake the legs down. Holds 650 lbs and I can go 3 months between fillings. Or a trough feeder the hogs can’t get into

Bud Man

I have 3 spin feeders , no hogs though. Convenient for me because I live where they are at. We have 7 on a lease 200 miles away . They are also convenient until one has a problem that you don't know about till you get back to the lease. They last for approx. 6 weeks with 250 lbs of corn 2x a day for 7 seconds. If they plug up , spin the set screw , rust out , battery connection falls off or battery goes dead , squirrels chew through the plastic spinner mount etc. you never know till fill time again. I would still say they are your best bet with hogs around. Cost is around $150.00 to put one together.
Cable , boat winch , length of chain , pulley , 55 gallon drum , drum funnel , spinner , battery , 3' piece of conduit .
I had flat lids made of heavy gauge steel with a 1" lip welded all the way around so water doesn't set in the ring top . Nothing holds them in place except weight of the lid.
The spin style works well with the corn /protein pellet mix also.
The deer love the trough I have also but they will eat as much as I put in it over night . With hogs I believe a trough would get emptied very quickly unless you could fence it off from them . I put a 5 gallon bucket of mix out every morning before I go to work and its empty by the next morning every day. They would eat 100 lbs if that's what I put out in it.

Tight Lines

Not the least expensive but I run Hang 'Em High feeders which by themselves are fairly hog proof (and coon, squirrel) when staked down. If you want to keep the hogs from the corn on the ground, get hog panels at Tractor Supply or your local feed store and build a ring around the feeder with it. Deer will learn to hop right over, and hogs won't.

Pigs can't jump very high, as witnessed by this fella trying...

Image-1 3.jpg

Tight Lines

By the way, I run my Hang 'Em High feeders at 5 seconds twice per day...they hold 300 lbs. of corn, and I think that they spin about 2 lbs. per spin...so that lasts 10 weeks. Mine are about 0.4 lbs. per second so you can make that last a lot longer if you prefer. The battery lasts a year with the solar charger. And since the tripod is so broad I don't think a hog could turn it over. If you stake the feet down with the holes in the leg, I don't think the wind or a hog would ever tip it...unless it was a tornado and/or a tree hit it. And you winch it down to fill it, which makes it easy for one person and no climbing with a bag of corn...

ssramage

Academy Big A. Use rebar to stake the legs down. Holds 650 lbs and I can go 3 months between fillings. Or a trough feeder the hogs can’t get into

I was actually looking at that one, or the new cube feeder. Thought a t-post in each corner might work well.

Tight Lines

We had a Big A on our last lease with the Hang 'Em High feeders and it never got turned over...we had a Moultrie tripod that got destroyed. The Big A definitely needs to be staked, as the legs are not fixed, they pivot on the feeder and are held in a triangle by chains. So a hog can push them in if they are not staked. It holds more than my Hang 'Em High and costs less too...only downside is it is a lot of climbing to fill 600 lbs. on that ladder...but it worked fine on our lease and never got punked by the hogs...here is a pic of the Hang 'Em High on our lease currently:

IMAG0330-100-330.jpg
The top of the feeder is probably 12' and the legs are probably 12' apart at the ground...and have holes for staking. They are about twice as much as the Big A though...

frankwright

I stake my tripod feeders down with good size rebar and wrap with a strand of 12-2 electrical wire. I have never had a hog knock one over and I have lots of hogs.
do not even consider anything other than a metal barrel. Critters will chew right through the plastic ones.
1Ai4vJV.jpg

furtaker

I stake my tripod feeders down with good size rebar and wrap with a strand of 12-2 electrical wire. I have never had a hog knock one over and I have lots of hogs.
do not even consider anything other than a metal barrel. Critters will chew right through the plastic ones.
1Ai4vJV.jpg
Mercy. What county is that?

ssramage

Well, going against my original plan, I found a deal locally on a new Moultrie 55 gallon tripod feeder. I'm probably going to stake it out with T-posts/rebar and hope for the best. If the hogs become a significant issue, I'll fence it but I think I might be ok.

mac91

If you have a lot of hogs you'll have to put a fence around it. Deer will not compete with hogs at a tripod feeder. The hogs will figure out the feed times and be there when it goes off. The best feeder for your situation is a trough feeder 3 feet off the ground. It will keep 90 percent of the hogs from feeding in it and the deer will use it.

frankwright

Hogs and deer hit my feeders all the time but not at the same times. I have lots of pictures of deer feeding under the tripod feeders and then later lots of hogs there too.

This particular piece of land does not allow baiting during deer season or you would mostly see hogs and they kill some nice deer there.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Just one more opinion but if you’ve got hogs feeders might not be what you want to do period. I’ve got some that come and go and when I stopped with the corn they started staying gone a lot longer and when they show back up they don’t stay nearly as long as they used to. I just try to keep something planted and the hogs don’t seem nearly as excited about the things I plant as they did the corn. Some people say that once you’ve got them you’ll never be rid of them but I’ve found that if there’s not a whole lot they want to eat they are like any other critter and will move on to where the food is.

Deernut3

Stand your tripod up with the barrell next to a tree and wrap a ratchet strap around it. I've been doing this for years, they can knock all the legs off and it won't fall.

Wifeshusband

No feeders allowed on our property. Once the hogs come to your corn they will stay until the second coming of Christ or until you trap or kill the "sounder." They caused such destruction in our fields with their wallows that you could not drive across them. Professional trappers had to eradicate them over a three year period. Ft. Benning was so over run they hired professional trappers, also. We hunted below Columbus for 30 years before the first piggy showed up; and, in the beginning they were a novelty, but it quickly wore off, as they beat deer out of most of the food. Trust me, there will come a time when you do "mind their presence."

OleCountryBoy

Don't use a spin feeder if you have hogs, use a gravity feeder. It doesn't matter if you concrete in the legs of a spin feeder or hang it from a tree, if the hogs find the corn they will run off the deer and control the site for as long as you are feeding them daily.

They will listen for the spin feeder and run to it once they get used to it.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...MIr8DxyJvz6gIVg-DICh3Ksg86EAQYASABEgIZ1_D_BwE