Felt soles or studded soles?

Thread starter #1

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
What's best for N GA streams?

Boots or just water shoes?

I prefer felt soles or the Korkers Alumi-Trax. The studs make my back ache after a couple of hours.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Felt or aluminum cleats. Steel studs don't hold on freestone rock. Rubber soles are useless and dangerous. A lot of places are outlawing felt now. Get some good wading boots. You will never regret it. Falling down in a trout stream can kill you after you whack your head on a rock, and the rocks are slick as ice in a lot of them.

I haven't tried the rock treads yet. Felt for me usually. I do
have a pair of rubber soled boots that work well. Not all rubber
is created equally!! The rubber on my 2020 flyweights works better
than other rubber I have tried.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried the rock treads yet. Felt for me usually. I do
have a pair of rubber soled boots that work well. Not all rubber
is created equally!! The rubber on my 2020 flyweights works better
than other rubber I have tried.
The rubber soles on my Simms Freestones were about exactly the same as gluing a sheet of glass to the bottom of your boots, then rubbing it down with lithium grease. You couldn't take two steps in them without almost falling.

Rock Treads didn’t work out for me. Followed the website instructions to the letter. The screws were either too long or too short. I may have been able to find the right screws somewhere but got tired of messing with them. Rock Treads will install them for you but I didn’t want to spend any more time and money on it. I’m sure it’s a quality product. Disappointing.