Feral pigs babies?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hello y'all!
So I'm not a hog hunter and know very little about it but I hear people talk just like I'm sure many of y'all do!
We are goin hog huntin at the club this weekend over bait. I've been baiting for over a week. Trail cam pics have some sows coming in with little babies.
Ok so I've heard talk from people who say that if ya shoot the mamma hog that you can catch the babies and put em in a pen and feed em out and slaughter em when they are preffered size.
Is this true?
If so, what would you feed the piglets? Would feed for them be at local feed stores or tractor supply? Or would the piglets need milk?
Is there any legality issues with this process?

Thanks so much if any of y'all have the info I need that is awesome!!!

across the river

Hello y'all!
So I'm not a hog hunter and know very little about it but I hear people talk just like I'm sure many of y'all do!
We are goin hog huntin at the club this weekend over bait. I've been baiting for over a week. Trail cam pics have some sows coming in with little babies.
Ok so I've heard talk from people who say that if ya shoot the mamma hog that you can catch the babies and put em in a pen and feed em out and slaughter em when they are preffered size.
Is this true?
If so, what would you feed the piglets? Would feed for them be at local feed stores or tractor supply? Or would the piglets need milk?
Is there any legality issues with this process?

Thanks so much if any of y'all have the info I need that is awesome!!!

Yes, you can do it. No, it is not legal.

Gator89

My brother used to trap them on his property here in Florida move from the trap to a pen on the same property, fatten em, shoot em, butcher em, grind em into sausage, stuff the sausage into casing and make the best whole hog smoked sausage I ever ate.

sea trout

Thanks for all the info guys!!!

georgia_home

Hams from smaller piglets work out about like turkey legs.

Bust’m up and grill them. Nice wrapped in foil over pit. Salt pepper ketchup and mustard. (That was all we had for spices that day)

One darn good lunch after a morning hog hunt.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It is illegal to transport them , also depends on what your goals are , if wanting them gone shoot mama , coyotes will probably get what’s left of the little ones , me I like hunting them and eating them and I just wait a couple months and the little ones will be perfect eating size and mama will have another litter on the way and I have plenty of fresh pork, most people hate em but I like em

sea trout

Thanks y'all!
Yeah I think we're just gonna stick with trying to shoot a couple and I'll consider myself lucky if we do!!! I guess we're not gonna try to catch any babies and transport them. I think we'll just concentrate on shootin a couple good sized ones and go from there.
I had em comin to the bait site every night. But I don't know what went on at the site yesterday and last night with the storms. My site is at a culvert. I'm sure it flooded. I'll just hope for the best!!!

sea trout

Thanks buddy!!!

aabradley82

Chad, I raised some several years ago. They never did tame down. Shootem all and buy a real pig to raise out if that’s what you want to do. Legal and much better feed conversion.
You probably won’t have any bait left after the rain and flooding we’ve had. Schools were delayed this morning and the creeks are still up. If you come down ride by Watson mill, it’s running pretty good right now