fertilizer question

Big7

The Oracle
Abac has nothing to do with extension, UGA extension has not focused on traditional Ag ever since its current dean of extension started, you can argue if you want, that's your choice, but it's the simple fact of the matter, there's a reason agent turnover is so high. The focus is on 4H and it's inclusiveness. Calling it "missionary work" doesn't change the fact that they require a master's and don't pay an equivalent salary. You are picking a fight over extension with the wrong person for sure, I'm curious what county you deal with, I'm going to guess colquitt.

With fertilizer a higher rate of product A may be cheaper than a lower rate of Product B, it all depends on the composition, 50 lbs of 10-10-10 in a bag will cost substantially more than 50lbs of bluk that's blended to a 10-10-10.
Walton.
Less than 20 miles from the UGA AG research farms.

My BIL has a Master's from ABAC.

Run along now.

Bob2010

Anyone know where to buy bulk in NW Georgia? I can buy bulk bags from our Landscape supplier. It must be cheaper to buy in one ton bulk bags or have it brought and dumped on site.

Ihunt

Op,
The fertilizer needs to be tilled into the soil.Nitrogen will leach into the soil rather quickly if it gets a good rain but evaporates if you don’t get that rain. Phosphorus and Potassium are slow to leach into the soil with one of them being very slow to the point it will not get where it needs to in hunting season.

I say this often on here but remember that we are not farmers. A soil test ( always the best idea) will give you a recommendation for max yield. The deer do not need 300-400lbs to the acre on those oats. That’s us thinking that they do. 100-150lbs will do a fine job, be much cheaper, and still make the plot pretty and tasty. Especially if you didn’t plant it 2 months before you want to hunt over it.

Get that soil test. Imo, the ph (lime) is more important than the fertilizer. If your ph is low 5s or upper 4s you’re just wasting fertilizer anyway.

Op,
The fertilizer needs to be tilled into the soil.Nitrogen will leach into the soil rather quickly if it gets a good rain but evaporates if you don’t get that rain. Phosphorus and Potassium are slow to leach into the soil with one of them being very slow to the point it will not get where it needs to in hunting season.

I say this often on here but remember that we are not farmers. A soil test ( always the best idea) will give you a recommendation for max yield. The deer do not need 300-400lbs to the acre on those oats. That’s us thinking that they do. 100-150lbs will do a fine job, be much cheaper, and still make the plot pretty and tasty. Especially if you didn’t plant it 2 months before you want to hunt over it.

Get that soil test. Imo, the ph (lime) is more important than the fertilizer. If your ph is low 5s or upper 4s you’re just wasting fertilizer anyway.
Excellent advice and spot on!

davel

Like the others have said get a soil test and it will tell you how much fertilizer you need. Go on the UGA fertilizer caculator page and it will tell you how many pounds you need of different blends of fertlizer. Punch in the common types or your custom mix and it will tell you how much you need per acre.