Fertilizing Persimmons

Bowhunter24

Was wondering when is the best time to fertilzie a persimmon tree, i found a cluster of 8 in a bottleneck in the woods and they all have fruit on them, so i was wondering when would be the best time and also what should i use, and if that will make a difference in next years fruit production?

Kdog

Do Not apply fert now! Worst thing you could do for the tree. Wait until mid march and use a ballanced fert like 10-10-10, or 13-13-13. I try to make two moderate applications each year with the second app being early to mid June. I apply 1# per inch of diameter around the drip line. Hope this helps.

Kdog

Bowhunter24

Thanks Kdog, does the fertilzer make a difference in the fruit production the next year?

Nugefan

Thanks Kevin for the reply...

being a rookie on growing peaches , this year I fertilized when the fruit was about the size of a nickel and all the fruit fell off and the thing started growing suckers like crazy...

Kdog

It will make a difference in the palatability the first year. You may also notice an increase in production the first year. The second year is when you will really notice a difference.

You may want to check with Vernon Holt on the second application for fruit trees. I have had years (with low rain fall) when the second application caused the fruit to drop. In years of average to above average rain, I have had great production.

Kdog

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kevin's recommendation is sound. I never try to meter out an application, I just do it by intuition. I normally would make the second application somewhat lighter than the first. With the first application you are giving the tree a shot in the arm, hoping for a boost in early growth. With the second application, you would hope to just sustain the early vigor. Apply the second application in mid June.

It would prove helpful to mulch around bearing trees with old hay or wheat straw. This will help conserve moisture as we endure summer dry spells.

Vernon