FFL transfer fees

Gator89

So, what would you consider to be a reasonable break-even point for assembling and filing a 4473, keeping it in safe storage for 20 years, attending a BATFE seminar once every three years, renewing a license every three years, taking the time to change a password on a government website every 90 days, procuring 4473 forms every time they change (frequently), occasionally going through the approval process and having the request denied, thus eliminating any payment at all?

An FFL has to do all of those things even if the business does not do transfers, correct?

$20 to $25 seems fair. There is no cost of inventory to the FFL on guns transferred in.

I bought a unique lower receiver on line and had it shipped to a local FFL / retail store. I paid $25 for the transfer, I bought a buffer tube, spring, buffer and a buttstock from the FFL that handled my transfer. In addition, there was a used Charter Arms 22 mag that had been sitting in the display case a few weeks, I asked for the best price, the FFL gave me a number, I said I will take it.

The lower receiver brought me in the door.

I make it a practice to ask my LGS the cost of a new gun before I buy on line. But used guns, I buy whatever I see that strikes my fancy and have it shipped to the FFL.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't understand why so many people don't feel like you should pay for a service someone provided for you. When you pump gas you pay for it...when you buy groceries you pay for it...when you pay the electric bill you pay for the service.

rosewood

I don't understand why so many people don't feel like you should pay for a service someone provided for you. When you pump gas you pay for it...when you buy groceries you pay for it...when you pay the electric bill you pay for the service.
Who said they didn't want to pay? The discussion was about the high cost of some FFLs. I don't mind paying reasonable fees. But I am not about to pay someone $50-100 for a transfer when there are folks that will do the same thing for $10-25. That would be just plain poor money management.

Rosewood

bullgator

What’s a reasonable fee? Asking the customer isn’t the answer, but the free market has already answered that question. It seems most are charging somewhere in the $20-35 range. That seems to be acceptable to most buyers as well. Dealers may use different criteria for setting those fees. Some may want the traffic and periphery sales a transfer creates and therefore don’t need to make much from it. Others may need the cash flow, however minor it may be. Others may view it as a service to keep customers happy and not lose them to other shops. Still others may not feel the need to do transfers at all. In all the above cases there are no wrong answers. The market decides on both sides, sellers and buyers.
As I already said, a little bump up at this time might need to be viewed as acceptable.

Jester896

Senior Clown
It seems most are charging somewhere in the $20-35 range. That seems to be acceptable to most buyers as well.

and what you may be able to draw from that is the ones that are charging $20-25 don't mind doing it and the ones charging $50 might not want to be bothered with sale of shipped in guns...and price it that way. I am certain they know others do it for $20-25.

killerv

Heck, my lgs doesn't put it in the system until you get there. I've even called out the serial to them (they double checked me of course). Takes them all of about a couple of minutes. Easy money.

rosewood

and what you may be able to draw from that is the ones that are charging $20-25 don't mind doing it and the ones charging $50 might not want to be bothered with sale of shipped in guns...and price it that way. I am certain they know others do it for $20-25.
Exactly

specialk

Heck, my lgs doesn't put it in the system until you get there. I've even called out the serial to them (they double checked me of course). Takes them all of about a couple of minutes. Easy money.

then they're one who should not charge much of a fee since the service is not as good.....btw, a licensed dealer has until the close of business to enter a gun they receive in their bound book and also remove any gun from the bound book that has left the store that day.

killerv

then they're one who should not charge much of a fee since the service is not as good.....btw, a licensed dealer has until the close of business to enter a gun they receive in their bound book and also remove any gun from the bound book that has left the store that day.

A transfer is a transfer, ffl have different rules for different stores?

Cant speak for you store, but about all the stores I've ever been in, forms are getting done the next morning. And no one is logging in guns when the ups pulls up right before closing.

Jester896

Senior Clown
right...people seem hyper focused on the 15 minutes they were there filling out the form.

They don't take into consideration logging in-logging out and paying an employee if they are not doing it themselves. Heavens forbid if it came from or is going to CA and that additional paperwork

the time they are on the phone or if you have a permit...probably charge the same...so that washes...what about the time they are on hold 30 minutes. Yes, they can do it electronically if it is up and running...probably still charge the same

Filing it away in the cabinet
When the cabinet is full moving it to a storage box
When the storage boxes fill up moving it to a warehouse or some other form of storage they likely have to pay for.

Don't forget the periodic inspections
Don't forget the fees they have to pay for the FFL

it's just all about the 15 minutes

nmurph

This is from another forum...posted a few minutes ago-

I live in Washington state, Lakewood,WA and am having a heck of a time with finding a FFL that will do a person to person transfer for a rifle, and is reasonable. See I need to have a Rifle shipped from South carolina and did find a FFL but they Want $85 to do the transfer. I keep getting excuses that if it was sent from someone like gunbroker it isn't a problem, but even with it being sent from another FFL they don't want to do it. If there is anyone who can help me I'd be so appreciative.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Davids gun room $40
Silver dollar pawn $15
15 minutes and out the door if that long. The bullets were too expensive.

rosewood

This is from another forum...posted a few minutes ago-

I live in Washington state, Lakewood,WA and am having a heck of a time with finding a FFL that will do a person to person transfer for a rifle, and is reasonable. See I need to have a Rifle shipped from South carolina and did find a FFL but they Want $85 to do the transfer. I keep getting excuses that if it was sent from someone like gunbroker it isn't a problem, but even with it being sent from another FFL they don't want to do it. If there is anyone who can help me I'd be so appreciative.

What do you expect when you live in a Communist run state? No one wants to touch it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I found this in a search under Washington State FFL Transfer:

Transfer fees, $50 for the first firearm, $40 for each additional. Without a transfer form application, the transfer fee is $75 per item. ANY semi-automatic rifle requires proof of training for i-1639 compliance.

maybe there is more to it than we deal with. In FL don't you have to wait for approval even if you have a CWP?

bullgator

I found this in a search under Washington State FFL Transfer:

Transfer fees, $50 for the first firearm, $40 for each additional. Without a transfer form application, the transfer fee is $75 per item. ANY semi-automatic rifle requires proof of training for i-1639 compliance.

maybe there is more to it than we deal with. In FL don't you have to wait for approval even if you have a CWP?
Jester, can you explain that last line about Florida. I’m not sure I understand.

rosewood

I have seen some places that still wanted to do the background check with a permit, but the person there didn't know the laws.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
It is my understanding that there is still a short wait when purchasing from some folks I have spoken with. Maybe one of the FL residents could speak about it. I was told it must be nice to present your CWP and walk right out.

Last edited:

killerv

I have seen some places that still wanted to do the background check with a permit, but the person there didn't know the laws.

Rosewood

Walmart did this to me once, even with a permit, but the 1187 20ga compact I was buying was $124.99...so it was worth the hassle and hour long process.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I like my local guys so much, granted they've given me 1-5 boxes of ammo (more boxes prior to plandemic), or shoot even a nice max5 vest once, few other things, that if it's something want I just get them to order it for me, it might be a little more than the ffl but I usually leave with something of quality for free, so for me it's a trade off, say it's 1000.00 gun, 1035.00 with ffl, but they order it and I pay 1100.00 but I leave with a few boxes of ammo or a new hunting jacket or turkey chair or whatever it's about the same and I appreciate it