Figure 6 corral trap

Jnort9

Can someone share some details on this “figure 6” trap? Is this some special trap that is the miracle hog set? I built a regular round trap with trap door but not any luck so far, altho the hogs haven’t been around as bad since I put it up.

jammeri5

Can someone share some details on this “figure 6” trap? Is this some special trap that is the miracle hog set? I built a regular round trap with trap door but not any luck so far, altho the hogs haven’t been around as bad since I put it up.
It’s like a round trap with a little leg sticking out straight. The bottom of the 6 makes the round trap part. You use the leg of the 6 that sticks out and the final panel to create something Like a screen door that the pigs can’t open. That final panel is posted in so it will spring into the side of the leg. Tie it open and get the pigs used to it. Then untie and the pigs should still push into the trap. In theory you’ll catch a lot more since the door closes behind each one. My trap is a regular round trap with falling door. Don’t have enough pigs to try anything else

jammeri5

Good advise from Darkhorse. I caught a sow with 5 pigs this week (total for last 12 months- 36) after watching them come and go for 3 nights. Main bait pile near the trigger but smaller piles (2) off to each side to give time for all to get in the trap before the trigger hit.
I was told to put most of my corn away from the trigger. The thought was most pigs crowd the big bait pile and eventually push a little guy off to trigger pile catching more pigs. Sounds like you do the opposite. Our pigs kind of come and go so I don’t get much experience with them. I am letting some get away setting my trap like I do?

sleepr71

No perfect answer on baiting in a trap..as Hogs are so unpredictable. Best answer is an Electronic/cellular gate that YOU drop..when YOU want to !!

Darkhorse

I was told to put most of my corn away from the trigger. The thought was most pigs crowd the big bait pile and eventually push a little guy off to trigger pile catching more pigs. Sounds like you do the opposite. Our pigs kind of come and go so I don’t get much experience with them. I am letting some get away setting my trap like I do?

Jammeri5, Actually my way is very similar to what you've been told. I don't have a trigger or trigger stick, I have a piece of cord. It is secured on one side of the trap and runs across to the other side where it runs through a pulley to the top of the trap then down the top to another pulley, then up to a limb or nearby tree and another pulley, from there it runs down to my only trigger, a treated 1X1 cut in half on an angle with a small hinge holding the two parts together and a eyebolt on the opposite side from the hinge cut. The door is held by a couple of strong springs with the 1X1 holding the door mostly shut. I put most of my bait in front of the trip cord with only a small amount on the other side. About 1/3 in back of and 2/3 in front.
Sounds confusing. Next time I'm down there I'll try and get a photo or two.