Final Post: The Southern Rut Stunk This Year

turkeyman55

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=3580631#post3580631

Copyrighted Material
Although many sites allow sharing and reposting of their content elsewhere on the web many other sites do not and are aggressive in protecting their copyrighted material. Since it is impossible to sort out who allows republishing of copyrighted material and who doesn't, consider any published material on other websites to be copyrighted and you may not post it here.

You may post a link to the other site and its' content.

Last edited:

HermanMerman

I would say the rut occurred at the same time in my neck of the woods in south Georgia as every other year. The problem was that during the prime week to be there, we saw lows in the mid 70's and highs in the mid 80's. And the humidity was holding around 99%. That's not very conducive to seeing much daylight deer movement.

While walking out of the woods three nights in a row during the week mentioned above, I had bucks chasing does in the dark within 100 yards from where I was at the time. They were just hunkered up, waiting for the night time to do their thing. Probably the craziest weather I can remember during deer season.

Jim Boyd

We had the most visible rut in SC that I have ever seen.

Bucks were everywhere, chasing was rampant and the hunting was very predictable.

We do have a very long, trickle type rut (much unlike the Midwest) but this year, we had a great, focused 10 day period as the peak of our rut.

For this, we are thankful.

Our challenge, as always, remains what steps we can continue to make and what steps we can add to make our ground appealing to the deer.

Best of luck!

swamp hunter

I shot what I needed , passed on a couple more so I'm happy.
It was in the 80.s most of the rut and the deer sightings showed it but both I shot were chasin anyways.
Far N. Florida.