Finally back at it...

Dirk

Its been years since I fished and my boat was a mess. Got it out and a couple new batteries, about an hour of pressure washing, and multiple hours re-pooling and re-rigging all my rods/reels but finally ready to go. Headed out at dawn on Sunday. Almost forgot how to throw a cast net but finally remembered. Was able to net some nice Gizzard shad on Lanier but wasted about an hour longer than I was hoping for trying to find/net bait. Ran up a Lanier feeder until I got to 70 degree water and started fishing at about 8:30. Action started immediately and missed a couple hits, but finally hooked a decent sized Striper. Not as big as I was wanting, but a healthy one that peeled a good bit of drag.
IMG_0208.jpg

My daughters boyfriend got a nice bass as well.
20210613_082559 (002).jpg

We missed several hard hits a couple of which were certainly Stripers and had some weight to them, but getting old and slow I guess. Great day on the water though and I am craving a 30+ lber now bad. We quite getting bites by about 10 am and water started warming up as well and was 73 when we left. Best chance for big Stripers in skinny water this time of year is right at dawn in my opinion.

Hope some of my old buddies are still on here, and if you are hope you are doing well. Tight Lines. Dirk

Dirk

Thanks for the great welcome back guys. I have had some medical issues but doing OK now and plan to keep fishing fairly regularly. My fishing buddy Robert has been in Florida for a couple years but is back in Dawsonville now, so we will hopefully get back in the swing of things. And by saying "back in the swing of things", I mean getting drag tested and arms burning from fighting the Big silver fish with lines on it... Though I like big mouthed green ones and even big slimy brown ones too.

Bream Pole

Watch this young man's method. Anybody can cast a net using his method. soooo simple.

Dirk

Good to see you fishing Dirk.

Hope you are doing good Mike. Also hope you are still jet boating. Mine still running good but getting a little slower to plane than I like and needs impeller adjusted. I think I still have a feeler guage somewhere and hope I can remember or figure it out. I think you did it for me last time... :sneaky:

Dirk

Watch this young man's method. Anybody can cast a net using his method. soooo simple.

I throw a 10 foot VERY heavy net that sinks super fast for big gizzard shad. That method looks ok for small but zero % chance that method would work on a 10' net. I remembered my method after a few minutes and it works great even with big net and maybe I will do a video and post it. Shawn McNew who owns Striper Soup store in Acworth has a great method for big nets and has done videos, and his method does not require holding net with your teeth.

Fisherman001

I throw a 10 foot VERY heavy net that sinks super fast for big gizzard shad. That method looks ok for small but zero % chance that method would work on a 10' net. I remembered my method after a few minutes and it works great even with big net and maybe I will do a video and post it. Shawn McNew who owns Striper Soup store in Acworth has a great method for big nets and has done videos, and his method does not require holding net with your teeth.
Yes, I would like to learn a method without having to use your teeth.

Dirk

Welcome back Dirk!
Thanks Ben.

As far as throwing cast net, below is a link to the YouTube video made by Shawn McNew who owns Striper Soup Bait and Tackle store in Acworth. Gets a little weird at the end, and YES , Shawn and Eric have issues... :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: But using his method the net is never in your teeth and never over your shoulder so you dont get soaking wet. Plus it is SUPER FAST to load and easy once you learn it, NOT VERY MANY STEPS.

I am old and stuborn so I still use the in your teeth method, but I get great spread even with 12 ft net... (y)