Finally Getting Into Trapping

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Well, on a much smaller level, of course. Dang moles in my back yard have been doing some damage in this one area. I've killed several with a shovel since last year, by watching the ground move, then jamming the shovel down on them. And man, that's so satisfying! Makes me want to break out into a happy dance when I kill one. :bounce: However, I've had a few misfires with the shovel lately, and decided to try something else. I seriously thought about breaking out the shotgun loaded with buckshot, but that may cause the neighbors to spill their coffee. So, I ordered the trap. Besides, it's much quieter. I've also been putting out those poisonous mole & gopher peanuts since last year. Not sure if it has killed any or not, but I've not seen as much mole activity as before.

The trap is the Victor Out O'Sight Mole Trap 0631. Just got it from Amazon, and will set it up in a day or two. It's pretty big and hefty, and does take some strength to set it. And Lord, I hope I don't lose any fingers setting it up.

Stay tuned for some exciting mole killing action! I think! I hope! :bounce:

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Silver Britches

You gonna' put up the hides?
Yeah, man. Might make some finger and toe warmers out of the hides. Gonna donate the meat to a local food bank. :bounce:
I moved into a home last summer that had some serious mole problems. The soil is very sandy and the moles seem to dig around for the sheer joy of destroying the lawn. I bought a couple of those Out of Sight traps and did manage to get 2 or 3 of the culprits. The issue I had was that in order to set them, you need to dig about an 8 inch hole in your lawn, about 6 or 8 inches deep, set the trap in, then cover it up again. Heck, I was trying to eliminate holes in my lawn, not dig more. One of my neighbors turned me onto the Wire Tek Easyset Trap, and it’s far superior to those Out of Sight traps. Just push the pincers into the tunnel as far as you can, then step straight down on the set plate and you’re done. I have two of them, might get another depending on the severity of the invasion this spring. There are some videos on YouTube showing how they work. Good luck.

Here’s a link to Amazon’s page on them:

https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Tek-1001-EasySet-Eliminator/dp/B000SDKGC6
Thanks for the info. I looked at several different traps, including that one. I'll see how this one works for me, and if necessary, I may try a different type of trap. They all look like they'd get the job done. Read a review from a guy who owns a pest control business that uses the out o'sight traps, and he swears by them. We will see.

280 Man

Banned
Thanks, man. Appreciate it. It’s at the taxidermist now - goin’ full body mount, growling. Costing me $3.50. But, hey, lots of good memories there! Another year and he woulda been a good ‘un.

Wow! They've really went up! The last one I had full body mount cost .85 cents!!! I'm sure it'll be worth it tho!

Silver Britches

Well, it didn't take long. My masterful trapping skills have produced a mole. Set it yesterday, and found him in it today. May have even got him last night. It got him in the rear, and he was still very much alive and trying to escape. I set him down in the driveway, while still in the trap, and he started crawling around in circles. Little joker is powerful to move such a heavy trap around. He also has a very powerful bite. I stuck a small, but hard, stick in his mouth, and he chomped down with a lot of force. He has a lot of tiny teeth. I put him out of his misery, and mine too, quickly after. :bounce:

Mole 1.JPG

Mole 2.JPG

Mole 3.JPG

Mole 4.JPG