Finally got a few sets out

Mark K

Banned
Got a few traps out Sunday afternoon. Had a tripped trap (deer) and a pull out Monday morning. The catch circle on the pull out was small and not a lot of damage to surrounding vegetation, so I’m guesssing coon. This was one of two blind sets on a trail.
Yesterday morning I had this young female! She was in the 1st trap on the trail. Also ended up with a poor rabbit that got caught by both back feet. Something did it’s best to pull it free, but only got the head and front shoulders. The rest of Peter Cottontail is now bait.
Nothing this morning except another tripped trap by deer.
971DE0F0-FAC9-4885-B5A4-9048B2B2AE9E.jpeg015DFC91-B9A2-4F62-8E86-47E05BD7B430.png11787B6F-F9C2-4249-93C6-09C7C1E9828E.png

mossyoakpro

Good job!! I'm setting the day after Christmas...I'll about 10 free mornings to run them then. Did some scouting today and put out my annual scent post to get them started using it.

Tight chains and Merry Christmas!!

Mark K

Banned
Check #4 and had this bobkitty on a compass set in a partially filled pond. Got a trap on the dam and one on the field side. This set was basically between the two. There were a lot of coyote and cat tracks down in the pond so I figured why not.

Attachments

• FDB75749-051E-4FA8-A139-12A90CBBD412.jpeg
    FDB75749-051E-4FA8-A139-12A90CBBD412.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 792ED4B7-0A61-4C66-91CB-1C7AD2C400DB.png
    792ED4B7-0A61-4C66-91CB-1C7AD2C400DB.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 215
  • FBD0184B-5B5E-4098-9085-099DEB8D4E1E.jpeg
    FBD0184B-5B5E-4098-9085-099DEB8D4E1E.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 210

Mark K

Banned
Basically a flat set with holes punched North South East and West of the trap. I use my stake driver to make them, then baited/lured with different baits/lures. That way they get shuffling there feet going from one hole to the other. I went about 12” each from the trap pan. Just want them interested enough to stick around trying to find what they’re smelling and hopefully step on the trap.

mossyoakpro

Basically a flat set with holes punched North South East and West of the trap. I use my stake driver to make them, then baited/lured with different baits/lures. That way they get shuffling there feet going from one hole to the other. I went about 12” each from the trap pan. Just want them interested enough to stick around trying to find what they’re smelling and hopefully step on the trap.

That sounds awesome! I'm going to try that for sure. Backing on each hole?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good job , trapping is something I really want to get into , I can catch a coon and plenty of opossum, and have caught a few other critters, but want to learn how to catch coyotes consistently !

Mark K

Banned
You and me both!! Cats come easy for me...coyotes not so much. All my sets are coyote sets, inconspicuous. Normally cat sets are a little more flashy...curiousity kills the cat. Yet no mater what I do I’ll catch cats way before I catch coyotes. Then again, I guess we have more cats than coyotes. Plus deer season is still in which means dead deer or guts all throughout the woods. Hoping once deer season ends they gets a little hungrier, lol.

Mark K

Banned
Heck I kept saying that too and finally said the heck with it. Haven’t had to remake a set yet due to the weather.

mossyoakpro

I finally got some steel in the ground...2nd check was today and nothing so far. We need some cold weather to get them moving! Tight chains!!

mossyoakpro

Had myself a grinner today in a dp....coons had destroyed a couple of my coyote sets as well. All of them had to be reworked due to the torrential rain yesterday.

We need some dry weather for a few days!

Mark K

Banned
Look up the Pipe Dream Set. It’s not so much the pipe, it’s the bedding process. 2.5” of rain since early Friday morning and my sets still look like they did when I set them.
For all this rain I just dig my trap bed about 4-6” deep, but the trap is level with the ground. The trap actually beds on the levers and I beat the ground back in flush with the jaws. I use steel screen to cover the trap and surrounding grass that I use my clippers to cover it with. If I’m setting on an actual trail I’ll use whatever was on the trail to begin with (leaves, grass, pine straw, etc)
I recently showed a trapping buddy this method and he swears he’ll never go back to burying traps again, lol. You can’t do it in this weather we are having. I’ll try and take some pics tomorrow.