Finally got a few sets out

johnq85

I haven’t had as much success as y’all have. I really haven’t even seen fresh sign of them in a while around my sets. Checked a far corner of the property today and found a lot of fresh tracks going down a road. I plan to set it tomorrow.
On the other hand the land owner called me tonight and said he could hear one barking near a dirt pit where I have a few sets, maybe I’ll have one waiting on me when I get there in the morning

Mark K

Banned
We’re supposed to get some rain Sunday evening, bad stuff supposed to go North of us. Right now they’ve changed the forecast and after Sunday it’s not “supposed” to be so bad. Hoping it drys out as quick as it did after this last rain.

johnq85

We’re supposed to get some rain Sunday evening, bad stuff supposed to go North of us. Right now they’ve changed the forecast and after Sunday it’s not “supposed” to be so bad. Hoping it drys out as quick as it did after this last rain.
Me too, too much more rain and I’m gonna be doing a lot of walking where I’m at. I’m gonna stay after them a little while longer though. At least until the heat makes me stop.

Mark K

Banned
I haven’t had as much success as y’all have. I really haven’t even seen fresh sign of them in a while around my sets. Checked a far corner of the property today and found a lot of fresh tracks going down a road. I plan to set it tomorrow.
On the other hand the land owner called me tonight and said he could hear one barking near a dirt pit where I have a few sets, maybe I’ll have one waiting on me when I get there in the morning
Hey man I’m a rookie at this. I frequent a few sites and the one thing I’ve learned is just let the sets sit and set on sign as soon as you find it.
It seems about the time I’m ready to give up, they show up and I’ll start catching again. Hopefully that barking will be one waiting on you! Good luck!

johnq85

That seems to be how it goes for me too, just when I think it’s time to pick up and move they start getting caught. The new sign I found today was pretty heavy so hopefully getting that set will put a few more in the truck. Regardless if I’m catching them or not I just love being out there so it’s a win every day for me.

Mark K

Banned
I had found at least two different sets of coyote tracks and some other tracks...within 3 days all the tracks seen were caught.
From my understanding its breeding season for coyotes which I’m guessing will mean coyotes will be on the move. May not be tonight, or even next Friday, but eventually they will be out and about in my area again. I just need to make sure I have functioning sets ready for them.

Ol' Gobblero

Little piece of advice on finding sign. The best, hottest sign consists of tracks coming and going both directions. This either means one coyote is frequenting the area on a daily basis or that you have multiple coyotes on that highway. A single set of tracks often means a single, wandering coyote. May be several days before he makes his loop again. There are also alot of ragweed fields and fire breaks getting turned right now. Don’t forget to check this fresh dirt. I have found some good travel corridors over the years in the middle of small fields. You wouldn’t think they would be travelling across the center of these fields, but often times what is on the edges of these fields creates a travel corridor.

Mark K

Banned
Well my streak ended this morning...nothing! Did have a dirthole cleaned out, but no critter. Went ahead and tripped the trap and reset it. Tripped fine for me, so not sure what happened.
Found some fresh coming and going tracks and set a couple traps. Sure would like to catch something I can see during the daylight hours, lol.

johnq85

Nothing for me this morning but I did get the road with all the sign set. It has a lot of tracks going both directions. I made three sets along the length of it so hopefully one will connect. A double would be awesome too

Mark K

Banned
Hoping for cooler dry weather again!! Enough of this warm wet stuff, lol. It’s like everything is on lock down. Didn’t even have a deer on camera last night. Hopefully they’ll be on the prowl again soon.

Mark K

Banned
Yes sir! Back in the game! Caught the big male in this set Friday, a possum Sunday, and this young male this morning!! #6
To clarify, I reset on the edge of the catch circle with a dirthole after the big male catch. Left it in the same spot after the possum and just reset. On advice from the more experienced, I swap out traps after each catch. A51C92B3-20A6-4277-818E-F9C47C2FBE6D.jpeg95D751B0-1D28-42E8-A54A-4E91720529DE.jpegWas really worried after we got about 1.2” in 45 minutes yesterday evening. I KNOW some are going to have to be reset, lol.

Mark K

Banned
Honestly a whole heap of stuff. Hiawatha Valley and Keg Creek Bill Nelson predator bait for the commercial stuff. I may be all wrong in my thinking, but the Hiawatha Valley has been good when it’s cooler (somewhat of an tainted smell) and the Kegs Creek when it warmer (a sweeter smell to me).
I’ve caught 2 coyotes and another critter off just coyote paws in the holes. And some have come off just quail/turkey parts in the hole.
I’ll occasionally use a little urine bobcat/red fox/coyote on something placed between the sets (pine cone or piece of bark).
I’m more lucky than good, so take that advice as just what has worked. I just think the critters were really roaming last week.

Mark K

Banned
Well, this week has been fairly poor for catches. Hoping this weekend and next week with the cooler weather will pick things up a little.
They did some burning and spent some time around my sets while doing it, so that might have had something to do with some of the lack of sign. Everything should be quiet this weekend and I now think everything around my sets will be left alone. Hoping for a better next week. The good weeks can flat sure spoil you, lol!

Mark K

Banned
Just walked outside and while it’s cloudy that half moon is about dead overhead and plenty bright...y’all know from my previous posts that I feel jinxed with the moon. Hoping to break that jinx this next week!

johnq85

I agree, that moon seems to slow everything down. I’m probably gonna pull all my sets soon and get after the turkeys for a little while. I’m finding it hard to stay motivated when catches are so slow for me right now.

Mark K

Banned
Had a coyote on camera stop and smell the urine placed between the sets but went on about his business afterwards...urine is now placed at both sets. If he stops and smells now he should definitely investigate and get caught, I hope!
655A4B1A-04CE-40E4-9824-DF511865474E.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
Put out 5 new sets yesterday evening and used some very very slightly tainted bobcat chunks for bait in some of the dirtholes.
Got up this morning and had almost 20 something pics on camera and just knew I had something in the trap...NOPE, just every deer within smelling range!! The only good news is they somehow didn’t trip the trap.
Bobcat meat=deer magnet!!