Finally

Hoss

It’s been 5 years since my last deer. Today broke the drought. Had opportunities for smaller bucks, but the club I’m in has 4 on a side rules, so no opportunities for a buck and does on this property are some kind of smart. They show up and are immediately in a stare down with you and pretty much end up running off blowing even when you don’t move and the wind is in your favor. Spookiest deer I’ve ever seen. Today was going about the same, doe shows up in a shooting lane staring right at me. I don’t move and she stomps her foot a few times and reluctantly moves on through the shooting lane. Two more does follow her. They move through another shooting lane still acting like they know something isn’t right. I’m still not moving. They move into some thicker stuff and finally start blowing and move off. I figure things are busted for the morning, but stay put as it is still early.

About 15 minutes later, I thought I heard something moving off to my right so I picked up the ol 45-70 and started trying to see that direction without moving too much. Looking down one of the shooting lanes, I saw a buck. Getting the scope on him, I saw he met our club requirement. The 45-70 spoke and the drought ended. He only went about 50 yards.

The next real surprise was I drug him about 100 yards, field dressed him, loaded him on the ATV, and the truck without any help. (Sure am glad it was a level ground drag). Maybe I‘m not as old and wore out as I thought .

6C590494-B91D-44D6-8122-AE4F4EE1971B.jpeg

Last edited:

specialk

way to go!!!

Jim Boyd

Great buck!

wvdawg

Staff member
Great way to end that drought! Mighty fine buck - congrats my friend!