Fire house food

georgia_home

lookin good.

curious, how do you FD folk work the cooking duties?

the place we show has the fire guys there same time as us every Sunday. between 8-830a. looks like they’re each picking food for one group meal each. So, just wondering…

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
lookin good.

curious, how do you FD folk work the cooking duties?

the place we show has the fire guys there same time as us every Sunday. between 8-830a. looks like they’re each picking food for one group meal each. So, just wondering…

We have 3 shifts, A,B and C. We work 24 on 48 off. 3 guys total per shift at my station, 2-3 at the other station. We split the supper bill evenly at my station. The other station fends for itself. Generally I cook and the other guys help with prep and cleanup. Lotta guys don’t know how to cook. I had to learn to cook or starve in my teens.
We bring food from home or make a store run for our meals.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about coming down there and calling in a far on the other side of town, then running in there and jacking that rack of ribs off the smoker when y'all left out to the far. :bounce:

ucfireman

I worked with a guy that liked to cook.
We would bring in breakfast.
We would go to the store and buy food for dinner. We would split the cost.
Will would cook dinner and everyone else would clean up.
We would make enough for leftovers for lunch the next shift. Had to make sure the other shifts knew to leave it alone. Then we got our own refrigerator and locked it up.
Sad you cant expect others to not eat your food.
So it was bring your own breakfast, Leftover lunch and fresh dinner.
Miss that. There were 3-4 of us. We ate good and no one was too picky.
If a call came out while cooking, will would stay back and cook unless it was something big.
Now we have 7-8 at my station and we all fend for our selves.
Seems there is always someone like NCH that wont eat something so its just easier. Plus seems everyone likes to call 911 or crash between 5-7pm. and interrupt cooking.
We still cook together on special occasions but its rare.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I worked with a guy that liked to cook.
We would bring in breakfast.
We would go to the store and buy food for dinner. We would split the cost.
Will would cook dinner and everyone else would clean up.
We would make enough for leftovers for lunch the next shift. Had to make sure the other shifts knew to leave it alone. Then we got our own refrigerator and locked it up.
Sad you cant expect others to not eat your food.
So it was bring your own breakfast, Leftover lunch and fresh dinner.
Miss that. There were 3-4 of us. We ate good and no one was too picky.
If a call came out while cooking, will would stay back and cook unless it was something big.
Now we have 7-8 at my station and we all fend for our selves.
Seems there is always someone like NCH that wont eat something so its just easier. Plus seems everyone likes to call 911 or crash between 5-7pm. and interrupt cooking.
We still cook together on special occasions but its rare.
It's really that big of a problem to your whole cooking scheme of life if somebody won't eat beans? Really? I almost guarantee you there's something I really like to eat that you won't touch, probably several things. But I'm a major problem to the meal planners of the whole world because I don't like beans? :bounce: It don't bother me if you make 'em and eat 'em, just give me a slab of those ribs, some of that bread, and everything but the beans, and I'm happy. That leaves more beans for you. :)

fireman32

1 person not eating beans is one thing.
1 that wont eat beans
1 that wouldn't eat broccoli
1 that doesn't eat any meat
3/5 of the folks at the station were picky so we just did our own thing.
We had that problem at one time, one guy was meat and taters only. The other guy was always broke. We are somewhat fortunate now, one guys wife went to culinary school, sometimes she cooks and brings it by for us. That lady can throw down in the kitchen.

fireman32

I think if I could get the hillbilly strapped to a chair and feed him some northern beans laced with ham hocks and jalapeños with a piece of cornbread drowning in it I may change his mind about beans.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think if I could get the hillbilly strapped to a chair and feed him some northern beans laced with ham hocks and jalapeños with a piece of cornbread drowning in it I may change his mind about beans.
You would die if you tried it. I will eat live bugs, nightcrawlers, and spiders first. I'm serious. Beans are the nastiest substance on our planet. Why not just cook hamhocks and jalapenos and cornbread without the beans? That would be really good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
1 person not eating beans is one thing.
1 that wont eat beans
1 that wouldn't eat broccoli
1 that doesn't eat any meat
3/5 of the folks at the station were picky so we just did our own thing.
So, how do you feel about possum? Groundhog? Snake? Gar? Picky. Don't tell me you will eat anything. But somebody that don't like one thing that you do is "picky."

fireman32

You would die if you tried it. I will eat live bugs, nightcrawlers, and spiders first. I'm serious. Beans are the nastiest substance on our planet. Why not just cook hamhocks and jalapenos and cornbread without the beans? That would be really good.
?, I’m the same way about English peas and armadillo. Had them both once, and that’s all I’ll ever have them.

fireman32

U ate a armadillo? Do tell! I couldn’t do it I don’t think.
Wild game supper in Perry, years ago. It was as bad as you would imagine.
I’ve eaten bear, emu, raccoon, snake, bear, gator, frog legs, rabbit, bison and more. Still have turtle that I haven’t tried yet. I like squirrel, but think I’d draw the line at rats.
Chocolate covered bugs ain’t bad either.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Wild game supper in Perry, years ago. It was as bad as you would imagine.
I’ve eaten bear, emu, raccoon, snake, bear, gator, frog legs, rabbit, bison and more. Still have turtle that I haven’t tried yet. I like squirrel, but think I’d draw the line at rats.
Chocolate covered bugs ain’t bad either.

I’ve had everything you mentioned cept bugs but never armadillo. Them things can carry leprosy.