First archery deer ever.

lbzdually

Banned
I am 41 years old and have never killed a deer using a regular bow, only a crossbow before today. I have been seeing some deer, does only, no bucks around my house just about every day here lately. A couple of days ago I set up a ground blind and had a big 100 plus pound doe bust me before I could even draw. I had borrowed a bow with a 55-60 lbs draw and every time I pull it back It hurts so bad, so I have literally only shot it 3 shots for practice to see if I would even be able to do it. So I brushed the blind better and waited for a northern wind. 4:30 2 deer pop out so fast, I could barely stand up and draw before the hit shooting lane I had cut. Only it wasn't in the shooting lane. It was in a place where I had not cut all the branches and about 5 ft from the deer on a 20 yard broadside shot it thunked off the limb and they were gone. I thought my chance had passed, the deer wasn't hurt, but I was. The pain set in after the shot of adrenaline wore off. At 5:20 the pain has almost became unbearable and I just about left the blind. At exactly 5:30 they came back they came in before at the same place this time even faster. They hit the real shooting lane I had cut only for me to not have drawn and they busted me bigtime. Rear deer blew and hopped off and the first big doe, or so I thought, hopped out to 30 yards and faced me. When I shot the bow in my 3 practice shots at 20 yards, first one was 3 inches right and I felt myself pull it. 2nd shot was 3 inches high and I could feel the pull, but 3rd one was one inch from bullseye and I knew the bow was on. She stood there taunting me face on and I knew I could make the shot right through her chest into the heart. I aimed at the neck white and let it fly after settling in for 3-4 seconds. She very slightly jumped the string and I heard thump, bleeeaaaahhh, rear spinal just before the hip and artery. I followed her to put a finishing shot in because I knew I broke her back and it would be slow death and hate to see anything suffer. I only took one arrow out of my quiver. I missed 2 twice from inside 5 yards and had to dig the arrow out of ground. . I finally just looked down the arrow and hit her in behind shoulder and another artery hit. She was tough, deer are amazing strong animals. Get the tractor to get her out and surprise it was 75-80 lbs button buck, he had not even dropped his gonads yet.

All that being said, I messed up bigtime. I had an epidural in my neck yesterday, and was not supposed to do anything strenuous and I also have a MRI for my shoulder due with the Dr. in a few weeks and he said judging by the popping noise it made when he rotated it, he thinks surgery for sure. The adrenaline has worn completely off and I have been trying to type this in for an hour now, but the pain is near unbearable. I don't know that I will ever try to pull a bow back again. My wife had to take my son to basketball practice and I don't look forward to the tongue lashing if I tell how bad I am hurting. Maybe I can take the pain after all, lol. Matter of fact, I would soon as have my shoulder pulled out of the joint 3 times for one of her talks. Never ever has to curse. Lord give me strength and pain tolerance tonight!!!! I will pretend I hurt it getting the trash in my truck tomorrow.

lbzdually

Banned
Well Mr. Laney sir, it had a ton of good meat for a sub 100 pound deer. He had bigger backstraps than 120 lb deer I've shot. Erica called my neighbor to give me a hand skinning because he said he would, I went into get my knife and he had the tenderloin, shoulder and ham off one side when I came back out. Did I mention he helps run the Dalton Utilities hunt and skins and guts 20-30 deer some days? The head is the only thing that doesn't look like a horror film, lol.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like a great hunt , congrats ! But I’d stick with the crossbow

ghadarits

I have sever shoulder problems at 55yo and can't get insurance to get past sending me to physical therapy for the past 5 years. I feel like I should be getting my therapist a Christmas present I know her so well now.

Crossbow for me now and I hate that I have to do that but it is what it is.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Very nice. Congratulations on everything but he pain.

alwayslookin

^ what JustUs4All said. You'll never forget that hunt! Good luck the remainder of the season and enjoy the venison.

lbzdually

Banned
Sounds like all the hard work and practice paid off. I'd stick with crossbow too.

It was a pride thing this time. I needed to prove to myself I could do it. Now next year I will be looking for a crossbow after this season is over. I got really lucky they were young deer the second night. They knew something was wrong but the wind and blind provided enough cover this time. With a crossbow I could have cocked it at my house and never had to move to shoot. I would have waited to get a better shot the first time. I hate not getting a clean shot, and that is on me. I tried the heart shot and failed. Never again. The 100 grain Muzzy did it's job and I thought I saw him go down. The first shot would have killed him because the blood loss was massive but man alive deer are strong willed creatures.