First attempt

Koltan

their working your sets! It’s just a matter of time before you connect. Learning how and why you missed is the only way to get better. Misses will teach you much more than a catch.

buckpasser

Man! The same trap that had the big coyote track beside it was stepped in again last night. The rascal stepped right on the far jaw (just past the pan), planted its feet and got the bait out of the now double hole set. I had just reworked it yesterday, so they must not be too paranoid of my scent. I baited and added some river cane leaves for a little obstacle in the holes this time. Maybe tomorrow...

The cages did produce two monster coons and a large possum last night.

Koltan

Man! The same trap that had the big coyote track beside it was stepped in again last night. The rascal stepped right on the far jaw (just past the pan), planted its feet and got the bait out of the now double hole set. I had just reworked it yesterday, so they must not be too paranoid of my scent. I baited and added some river cane leaves for a little obstacle in the holes this time. Maybe tomorrow...

The cages did produce two monster coons and a large possum last night.
I would re-lure and rebait. And I have had some success with putting a sweet gum ball in his track. I also talked to guy who was much more experienced than me that would cover his pan with a piece of moss, then sift dirt over and leave the moss exposed. He swore they stepped on the moss every time.

Koltan

If you have another trap. Put it where his back feet would be. Nothing wrong with a back foot catch...

Koltan

I had a coyote that kept digging me out. So I placed a blind set behind my original, put up a camera and the next night. He pulled out. 4DFD7A48-1A9A-43D0-881D-ED6DBD67EF1A.jpegC1C8BFB1-E285-426C-8C6A-43B1A8F798A6.jpegEFFD7208-BAA9-4B0C-848B-2B20D0BE3CB5.jpeg

buckpasser

I pulled all the traps I’ve been running. I adjusted/reboiled/dyed/waxed this time and also boiled and waxed some brand new ones I bought. I set the new ones around my house last night on some coyote and bobcat sign. Two traps were with my homebrew bait and two with the store bought.

I got up early and am pleased to announce that the monkey is finally off my back! A different coyote got my bait and stepped all but on the pan at one set, but this male is no longer in the pack. I had him by three toes and there was no damage to him at all. I have some confidence in my bait now as it was at the two sets that were visited and hope to keep learning. Thanks for all the help from my GON brethren!

09947394-B34E-45FB-9AC9-60D2E5850ED7.jpeg

buckpasser

Great job. The first one is the hardest.

I have to say, it was a first deer sort of experience for me. It was the most excited I’ve been outdoors in a while (with the exception of guiding my kids).

Having some struggles and weeks of checking traps first thing every morning only sweetened the sight of that coyote bouncing around in the frost. I’ll never forget it.

Koltan

I have to say, it was a first deer sort of experience for me. It was the most excited I’ve been outdoors in a while (with the exception of guiding my kids).

Having some struggles and weeks of checking traps first thing every morning only sweetened the sight of that coyote bouncing around in the frost. I’ll never forget it.
My first coyote. I danced on a four wheeler like it was prom night.

buckpasser

My first coyote. I danced on a four wheeler like it was prom night.

I fully understand. My list of KNOWN mistakes is long and getting longer. I’ve got great respect for accomplished coyote trappers and I’m pretty sure God supplied this first one on credit!

Davexx1

Congratulations! Well done.

The "near misses" were lessons and good teaching moments. Learn from those and every future encounter.

Dave

Koltan

I had a trapper tell me once, you never really learn what works. You just make long list of ways to screw up... I scratched my head and thought this guys nuts. Then I started trapping.