First Bear Hunt - Chattahoochee WMA

Gentleman4561

I decided it was time to stop reading and researching and just go for it.

I spent two days hunting Chattahoochee WMA, I drove in Chattahoochee River Rd by Unicoi Gap, then drove a couple of miles down Martin Branch Rd and camped in that area.

I spent a lot of time hiking, I hiked all the way across to the Chattahoochee River and then back along Turkey Pen Branch and all over in between. I tried to keep the wind in my face whenever I could, I did not see any bears but did see 2 does and plenty of squirrels.

I didn't really know what I was looking for, but I do know I saw one bear track. I also found a deer carcass, and quite a few trees that looked like maybe a bear had torn them up.

A few various areas on the ground looked to be torn up, but I am not sure if that was hogs or bear.

I am planning to head back here for the November dates and try the same thing again. I figure if I spend enough time hiking eventually I will find a bear.

I know I am a newbie and don't want to come across as begging for free research/scouting info, but any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

dGTQLOp.jpg

fqbfULZ.jpg

fdgxVby.jpg

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
The best advise i can give you:

The search button is your friend!

Everything you need to know is already been discussed many times in previous threads on this forum. Do your research.

Then if you have specific question and cant find the answer or are not sure how to apply. Come and ask.

Be fore warned. It has been a very tuff year. Last year i saw multiple bears multiple times.
I havent seen a single bear and found very little sign in those same areas this year.

jbogg

What thunderhead says is good advice. Lots of great bear info on this forum, you just have to spend some time reading. The only thing I would add is Turkeypen branch probably got hunted pretty hard by the dog hunters due to the road access on both sides. I would Have probably concentrated on areas that are a little harder to get to on the fringe of the WMA.

Gentleman4561

The best advise i can give you:

The search button is your friend!

Everything you need to know is already been discussed many times in previous threads on this forum. Do your research.

Then if you have specific question and cant find the answer or are not sure how to apply. Come and ask.

Be fore warned. It has been a very tuff year. Last year i saw multiple bears multiple times.
I havent seen a single bear and found very little sign in those same areas this year.

Thank you! I have been reading and reading, I feel like the search/60 pages here ios a gold mind.

Gentleman4561

What thunderhead says is good advice. Lots of great bear info on this forum, you just have to spend some time reading. The only thing I would add is Turkeypen branch probably got hunted pretty hard by the dog hunters due to the road access on both sides. I would Have probably concentrated on areas that are a little harder to get to on the fringe of the WMA.

Awesome, I have already been digging through the topo maps to figure out where it will make sense to hunt in November.

ddd-shooter

For later, red oaks will be key. They're the last to rot.
But this year, I'd say get close to the thick stuff, especially on south facing slopes for that late in the season.
Acorns everywhere so terrain and last available will be your best bets.
Only bear I've stalked this year was climbing a tree in the middle of the thickest stuff around. That's also why I didn't shoot when he was at forty. Too thick and a little too far for me.

Professor

walk, and then keep walking. I have yet to get my first, but I have seen 3, and likely would have seen more if it were not for some new guy mistakes. Walk until you find a good supply of scat with some very fresh additions.

fatback

Good on you for getting out there and going. Like others have said, lots of good info on this forum. Best advice I can give as a fellow new bear hunter is enjoy those beautiful mountains and keep a positive attitude and eventually the bear killing part will work itself out. Don’t judge the success of your hunt on whether or not there is a dead bear at the end of it. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Gentleman4561

Good on you for getting out there and going. Like others have said, lots of good info on this forum. Best advice I can give as a fellow new bear hunter is enjoy those beautiful mountains and keep a positive attitude and eventually the bear killing part will work itself out. Don’t judge the success of your hunt on whether or not there is a dead bear at the end of it. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks! I will!

Even with no bears to be seen, boy did I still have a great time! It is beautiful up there.