first bow kill...finally!!!!

bradpatt03

seems like i waited forever for it, but today it came....got off of work a little bit earlier than expected so i decided to continue my 4-day hunting streak (i've seen at least one deer everytime i've gone)

i decided to head to a place in lithonia i have permission to hunt and i saw 7 on opening weekend (sunday)

this time i didn't even get out there until 6:15 or so and didn't plan on stayin long...i just threw on my leafy suit over some jeans and a white t-shirt and told my girlfriend i'd be over around 8...if only i knew :bounce:

as i started walkin up the dirt road to head toward the field that i usually walk beside on my way into the woods i noticed there were already 3 deer in the field...and that fields not even planted...they were browsin on just grass i guess. there was a tractor parked in between me and them so they never saw me. i could have tagged one of em as it got within about 35 yards, but it had a fawn with it so i decided to pass on that.

i walked into the woods about 10 yards whereas i usually go about 150 at this particular area. i sat where all of the deer i previously saw had come thru, and where i expected the deer i had seen in the field to head to as well. didn't see another dang thing until about 7pm i had one come trottin up behind me about 50 yrds thru some thick stuff and i was sittin on the ground so i had no hope at him...he wandered off a short time later...about 2 minutes later had one cross the loggin road about 60 yards to my left headed toward the deer i had just seen. about 15 minutes later i have a HUUGE doe cross the logging road and head into the thick stuff on the other side...i figured i had seen the last of her, but since they were movin all around me, i quietly stood up (just in case i needed to make a tough shot).
Well, no sooner than my 2 feet hit the ground that doe popped out and crossed back over that loggin road about 40 yards down from me. she walked thru some real thick stuff and i lost her for a minute...i squatted back down to try to see her better and she caught me...we had a stare down for about 2 minutes...she turned and faced directly toward me and when she did she somehow had her hole body open to where i could get a shot off...provided it was perfect...she leaned fowards a little bit and angled away...i knew if i didn't let it fly right then she'd bolt...so i did...

she immediately fell and then hopped back up and stumbled off, so i knew i had made a good shot...never found my arrow though. she ran about 150 yards and piled up...i rushed my trackin her due to it gettin late and spooked her to the other side of a creek like a dumby :banginghe

i then just sat down and called a buddy to come help me drag it up that huge hill and just sat and gave her time...

when i got to her i was shocked...not only was this the first doe, or deer period, i've ever killed with a bow, but it was definitely the biggest and most mature doe i've ever killed...

she had to have weighed about 130-140lbs. her belly was swollen with food. when we gutted her i checked her stomach (i remembered a thread on it earlier today :bounce: ) i found a whole lot of browse and about 10-15 muscadines...

i'm just now done with the whole ordeal...i forgot how much work it is after ya shoot one....

well i'm glad i got that first one out of the way...now i'm ready to take down mr. big daddy :cool:

i'm also glad i killed one the 4th day of season...last year i didn't kill one until late November early December. :huh:

Swamprat

Swamprat
Congrats

It is all down hill from here on out.

Now that you have no pressure you can spend the rest of the season waiting for Bullwinkle.

Of course keep on shooting them does. Any deer with a bow is an adrenaline rush whether it has horns or not.

raghorn

Swamprat said:
It is all down hill from here on out.

Now that you have no pressure you can spend the rest of the season waiting for Bullwinkle.

Of course keep on shooting them does. Any deer with a bow is an adrenaline rush whether it has horns or not.
Yep! What he said.......:cool:

Slasher

Congrats on the achievement... On the ground as well!!! We all appreciate the sharing your experience with us as well

Scout-N-Hunt

Congrats on the big doe, first archery kill is definitely cool.

DSGB

Way to go! :clap: I killed my first with a bow last year. Killed the first deer I shot at this year. I guess it's true what they say about it getting easier after you get the first one outta the way. Congrats bud! :cheers:

Atlsooner

A great big "ATTA BOY " Brad to ya! Good story as well. I have to ask though, did you make it your girlfriends at 8 like you said you would? If not, hope she understands..... :whip:

bradpatt03

definitely didn't make it over there by 8 :bounce: more like 11. it was a loooong drag. then we couldn't get it to the processor in time before they closed so we had to take it back to the prop to gut it out and then go find a gas station that was open to buy ice at. ran all over town this mornin tryin to find someone open earlier enough to drop her off...

ryanwhit

Congrats man!! I know you're pumped...there's nothin like gettin em with a bow!!