First canoe/kayak selection and my head is spinning

Guitar Guy

Hey guys. Hoping to get some guidance. I have done a lot of research thus far, and most of it feels pretty inconclusive. My wife and I just moved to a house on a very small and calm private lake. I'm looking for a canoe/kayak under $1,000 that seats two and can function reasonably well for two primary purposes:

1. Just my wife and I leisurely paddling around the lake - this is the easy part
2. Me fishing solo, preferring to fly fish, and hoping to be able to stand up without killing myself
3. Fairly easy to remove from the water and drag onto the dock

My research thus far leads me to believe that most of my criteria isn't compatible in a single craft, and that perhaps everything under $1,000 is absolute crap. Humor me - is there anything that may at least sort of fit the bill here?

fish hawk

Bass Master
Your gonna have to have some really good balance to fly fish standing up in any kayak,might want to look at jon boats.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
And you absolutely, positively DO NOT want a two man kayak...They are the spawn of Satan and will destroy your marriage.

Ain't much good when by yourself, either. No way to get the load right, and paddle like crap.

Canoes ain't much better.

I would spend your G on a cheap big-box 12 footer for EACH of you.

Y'all will have a much better time On Golden Pond...;)

Coenen

Vibe Yellowfin 130t kayak

Two seats when you want them, and a middle seating position for solo. Deck is nice and open. There are a couple other companies that have similar setups as well.

Not under a 1000.00 but look at Nu Canoe

GA1dad

The used canoe market is filled with options,,, way under $1000. Buy a used canoe and use it for a season or two while you decide if you want/need to upgrade.

Guitar Guy

The used canoe market is filled with options,,, way under $1000. Buy a used canoe and use it for a season or two while you decide if you want/need to upgrade.

Appreciate it. Is craigslist the best marketplace or perhaps Facebook - or is there something better for finding local used canoes?

GA1dad

Appreciate it. Is craigslist the best marketplace or perhaps Facebook - or is there something better for finding local used canoes?

I check Craigslist, FB Marketplace and Offer Up whenever I'm looking for something.

The canoe I currently have came off of Craigslist. Its an older fiberglass Mohawk that's built like a tank, and if I'm not mistaken I paid $175 for it. I personally like a fiberglass canoe for it's rigidity, though I have had a couple of decent laminates over the years too. Since you want to stand in it, make sure the bottom isn't too flexible when you push on it.

If nothing else, getting a inexpensive used one will buy you some time 'til you figure out what you really want.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Before my back went south on me, I use to stand in my Coosa to fly fish out of but now sit with the seat in high position and can fly fish with no problems. Low position is a no go for me. Used kayaks and canoes is the way to start out till you decide if you like it or not. Like mentioned above a small Jon- boat is the best option for two people.

Bananaslug22

my first kayak was a 10' sit in pelican from walmart for $180. got me in the game but was cramped, no space and couldn't stand up. no cushion in seat either.

then found a Freedom Hawk 12' on Facebook with the expandable pontoons for $425. I could stand in this boat and fish but had parts that could break and the boat had been discontinued. That scared me because I couldn't fix it if it broke plus I river fish and that thing was not a river fishing machine.

Last May I found a Feel Free Lure 11.5 for $650 on Facebook with a Feel Free paddle. I cant stand in it, its not too heavy, has a nice padded seat and it has a built in wheel in the rear to help move it around when needed.

I don't see me needing another kayak unless this one is damaged and cant be repaired.

jocko755

I would recommend a canoe. I have an old town 158. Pick a wide flat bottom canoe. It’s a two seater - but easy to solo. Just sit in the front seat backwards. Plenty stable to stand in and easy to drag up on a dock.
Be careful choosing a second hand canoe. White water canoes have more rocker and a more round bottom and are tippy in flat water. All canoes are not the same. A white water canoe is a disaster on a pond or lake.

Slasher

Crescent Kayaks
Made in the USA'
the Light Tackle sounds like your ticket
under $1k and the factory is right here in Carrolton

SASS249

Another vote for a used Discovery 158. A lot of them around, virtually bulletproof and paddle better than you would think. I stand and flyfish in mine regularly, but it is easy to add outriggers and make it even more stable.