First Deer feeder

AllanS

I have 30ac in Rabun County, I have a small herd, 6 does and a few different bucks using our property. I would like to put out an automatic feeder to supplement the natural food I have growing for them. Such as apples and pears along with two small fields of natural growth and plenty of edge browse. I was wondering what feeders work well and which ones to avoid. I have never owned one so I'm starting from scratch. Do I need solar or just battery? I am usually up there at least once a month so what size barrel do I need? I'm sure I should be asking other questions but don't yet know what they are. Any help is appreciated.

mattb78

If you just want to throw a little corn to keep deer around the simple Moultrie spin feeders are inexpensive and work well.

If you want to supplemental feed your deer you need 450+ lb and up capacity feeders.

Do the math on how much corn you want to throw per day and buy the capacity feeder you need.

AllanS

AllanS

If you just want to throw a little corn to keep deer around the simple Moultrie spin feeders are inexpensive and work well.

If you want to supplemental feed your deer you need 450+ lb and up capacity feeders.

Do the math on how much corn you want to throw per day and buy the capacity feeder you need.
Honestly not sure how much I want to feed. Probably more in the spring when the does have fawns, not much in the fall when the acorns are falling. A bit more when I'm hunting. I guess what I'm saying is I need the ability to adjust the amount. How much do you think I would need to throw a day? To feed supplemental 6 to 8 deer?

Ihunt

That bear will destroy your feeder. Hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t waste my money on a nice one.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Just another train of thought, since you mentioned feeding fawns in the spring. Corn piles in the fall will work too.

Attachments

• Nutritional Requirements.jpg
    Nutritional Requirements.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Nutrition.JPG
    Nutrition.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Common Ragweed.JPG
    Common Ragweed.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Greenbrier.JPG
    Greenbrier.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Crude protein.JPG
    Crude protein.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Deer diet by season.JPG
    Deer diet by season.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 7

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
And get clover to grow, wherever you can

Attachments

• Durana Graph.JPG
    Durana Graph.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 4

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
You can bear proof your feeder by hanging it between two trees with a steel cable and 6ft of PVC on either side of the feeder so it can roll.

Works here and we have a lot of bears

Long Cut

I seen that Tanner Edenfield made a video on his 55gal drum feeders. Cut a small 3” x 1.5” tall slit in the bottom and gravity does the rest. Put the drum on a rubber workout mat or artificial turf and you’re good to go.

Obviously in Bear country a metal drum with a sturdy lid that’s chained to a tree would be your best bet.

Feeding is good but proper habitat management (TSI, Prescibed Burns, Food Plots, Predator Management) is even better.

Hope this helps