First Hunt First Buck

bighonkinjeep

My annual family Bama hunt during the rut in January was fantastic as always this year.
After taking him to the range a few times in the past year or two I took one of my nephews on his first ever hunting trip. He didn't tell me about the solid gold horseshoe in his pocket.
Andrew .308 terget 11-8-16 (2).jpg
I had him all set up with an old Savage flatback model 11 in .308 I set up for the kids. It's cut down to a 12" length of pull and chopped the barrel to 16" before it was threaded and braked, homemade cheek riser to put smaller heads in the proper position for the scope, a bolt lift kit to ease bolt operation, and a trigger job to ensure there's no guessing as to when during the trigger pull it's going to fire. He was shooting a .308 youth hand load consisting of Hodgdon H4895 (38gr) under a 125gr Hornady SST. (super mild recoil) I must say the kid shoots a pretty good group at 100 yards for a beginner.Andrew first buck big pic.jpg

It instantly dropped this big Alabama 175# 8pt like a light switch with a high shoulder shot. He had the green light on any deer he saw, but was really patient passing on several does and a smaller buck before this big ol dude appeared and gave us both the buck fever shakes. It was truly a great experience to share and one I'll never forget. beaver creek 2020 andrew buck tailgate.jpg
Big ol bucks have big ol backstraps MMMM!

beaver creek 2020 ready  to eat.jpg
I picked up the mount from Rack Shack Taxidermy in Coalville Alabama when I went over for a family dove shoot. Sheree did a fantastically lifelike shoulder mount. When i took the mount over to his house my nephew got a huge grin and started shaking all over again when he saw it. And THAT'S what it's all about. A Fantastic first hunt and a fantastic buck first or otherwise. One of my other nephews says he oughta retire on that big ol buck and save himself some agony LOL LOL
beaver-creek-andrews-mount-jpg.1049482

beaver creek andrews mount holding.jpg
beaver-creek-andrews-mount-holding-jpg.1049481
beaver-creek-andrews-mount-holding-jpg.1049487
beaver creek Andrews mount.jpg
beaver-creek-andrews-mount-jpg.1049488

Last edited:

wvdawg

Staff member
Heck of a first buck! Great story - great smile! Congrats to all!

DSGB

Very nice buck and mount! Congrats on his success!

bany

That’s great! Good for y’all!

ghadarits

My annual family Bama hunt during the rut in January was fantastic as always this year.
After taking him to the range a few times in the past year or two I took one of my nephews on his first ever hunting trip. He didn't tell me about the solid gold horseshoe in his pocket.
View attachment 1049929
I had him all set up with an old Savage flatback model 11 in .308 I set up for the kids. It's cut down to a 12" length of pull and chopped the barrel to 16" before it was threaded and braked, homemade cheek riser to put smaller heads in the proper position for the scope, a bolt lift kit to ease bolt operation, and a trigger job to ensure there's no guessing as to when during the trigger pull it's going to fire. He was shooting a .308 youth hand load consisting of Hodgdon H4895 (38gr) under a 125gr Hornady SST. (super mild recoil) I must say the kid shoots a pretty good group at 100 yards for a beginner.View attachment 1049922

It instantly dropped this big Alabama 175# 8pt like a light switch with a high shoulder shot. He had the green light on any deer he saw, but was really patient passing on several does and a smaller buck before this big ol dude appeared and gave us both the buck fever shakes. It was truly a great experience to share and one I'll never forget. View attachment 1049923
Big ol bucks have big ol backstraps MMMM!

View attachment 1049924
I picked up the mount from Rack Shack Taxidermy in Coalville Alabama when I went over for a family dove shoot. Sheree did a fantastically lifelike shoulder mount. When i took the mount over to his house my nephew got a huge grin and started shaking all over again when he saw it. And THAT'S what it's all about. A Fantastic first hunt and a fantastic buck first or otherwise. One of my other nephews says he oughta retire on that big ol buck and save himself some agony LOL LOL
beaver-creek-andrews-mount-jpg.1049482

View attachment 1049926
beaver-creek-andrews-mount-holding-jpg.1049481
beaver-creek-andrews-mount-holding-jpg.1049487
View attachment 1049927
beaver-creek-andrews-mount-jpg.1049488

Thats a great story and even better because that young man must live close to me because he's wearing a Murphy Candler Park shirt in a couple of pics.
I coached a lot of ball at that park.

Congrats young man thats a heck of a good start to your hunting career.

Good on you too Bighonkinjeep for making a great effort to help the younguns get started right.

walkinboss01

Congrats to y’all. Very nice looking mount as well.