First impression of the Sig P320 XCompact with Romeo1 Pro!! And Ongoing Evaluation..

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I am usually against any sort of "package deal" where guns are concerned, but I couldn't pass this up for a few reasons, so here we go...

IMG_20220216_164354733.jpg

Fellers, this thing feels GREAT in hand. Weight, balance, pointability, all are top notch.

I wiped it off, ran a brush down the barrel, and headed out back to my range in the yard.

Sig claims this thing comes sighted at 15 yards, but for my eyes, it was hitting low and left, missing a clay pigeon at 10 yards. So I took the handy little tool Sig provides, and started walking it in. In a couple of adjustments, clays started dying.

Backed up to 15, and it was hit one, miss one, so I guessed at it, and adjusted up a touch.

Not much difference, so I went back to 10, and shot up another 50 or so, at some drink bottles, and a spray can. Even managed to hit a snuff can a few times.

The gun ran perfectly with 115 gr Blazer Brass.

The Romeo1 Pro, is a nice piece. The 6moa dot is easy to see, and can be adjusted down to where you can almost "see thru" it or so it seems. It has a feature that I didn't know I was getting, called MOTAC.

It turns itself off after 2 minutes of stillness, and the slightest movement turns it back on at the last selected setting. Very cool.

The Sig sight is MUCH nicer than the Vortex Venom on my G40MOS, and the SightMark Mini on my Ruger MK2.

At some point I am gonna get out the sandbags and really dial it in at 15 yards, but as is I am better than I am with irons, which ain't saying much...

Here's a look thru the Romeo1 Pro...

IMG_20220216_164715031.jpg

I could NOT get my cheapo phone to focus on the sight, but you get the idea.

Now, for the trigger.

It is flat. This seems to be all the rage these days, but I just don't see what the excitement is all about. It looks cool, but I can take it or leave it. Maybe somebody can explain...

I am a "Glock Guy" having carried them on duty for a decade, so I have a lot more experience with them, than any other.

But I have to give Sig triggers the nod, and the P320 is very similar to my P365 in the way it feels.

As striker fire pistols go, Sig beats Glock, but neither are even close to the trigger on my Rock Island 1911 Ol' Beater pistol.

Having to start somewhere with a holster, I ordered a 1791 Optic Ready belt holster. I like their stuff, and I like leather. This holster is built like a tank, and was VERY tight. Had to fold up a plastic bag four times and stuff it in, mash and twist, but it's good to go, now.

IMG_20220216_164326545.jpg

1791 did their homework, and there will be NO inadvertent mashing of buttons on the sight. Hat tip to 1791 for that...

IMG_20220216_165138107.jpg

You just ain't GON beat 1791, for $60.

Oh yeah, this package also came with suppressor height night sights just like the ones that come on the P365, which are excellent. It also came with two 10 round magazines, which nobody wants, and the reason this pistol was in stock at such a price...

I read that they are easily modified to hold 15, and I may investigate that further, when my spare 15s arrive.

Overall, Sig did an outstanding job of putting together a "ready to go-red dotted-night sighted carry gun"

I am looking forward to burning up the case of ammo I have coming, and getting practiced up with this thing.

Big7

The Oracle
Yes Sir.

I was looking just this morning for Sig 357 auto.
Prolly be getting one soon if ammo is available.

357 Mag ballistics in a self shucker is very appealing to me.

bullgator

I have that model without the optic, and it does feel and shoot great. The 10 round mags are Kalifornia guns and 15 rounders are available. The trigger is nice as you already stated. I slightly prefer the Walther PPQ, but not by much.
Nice purchase ?

doomtrpr_z71

I'm surprised you don't care for the flat trigger, I don't own a striker sig without a flat trigger, even my abomination of a Glock has a flat trigger. There's nothing to making the 10s into 15s, the mag body has 2 dimples, drill them out and you have 15s. You must have a nicer rock island than I've ever fooled with because my 320s and 365 definitely have better triggers than any cheap 1911 I've shot except my old Taurus 1911.

Though I love 357sigs for some reason I don't care for my p320 in 357 sig like I do my hammer fired 357sigs.

Dub

That’s going to be a solid performer for you.

Good to know about the 1791 leather. Looks like it accommodates the ? perfectly.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm surprised you don't care for the flat trigger, I don't own a striker sig without a flat trigger, even my abomination of a Glock has a flat trigger. There's nothing to making the 10s into 15s, the mag body has 2 dimples, drill them out and you have 15s. You must have a nicer rock island than I've ever fooled with because my 320s and 365 definitely have better triggers than any cheap 1911 I've shot except my old Taurus 1911.

Though I love 357sigs for some reason I don't care for my p320 in 357 sig like I do my hammer fired 357sigs.

Well, it's not that I don't like the flat trigger..

It's just a non-issue for me, and nothing about it jumps out and grabs me by the throat, making me notice what all the hype is about... ?

When I pulled it through a few times my thought was, "Cool, just like my 365".

And my old RIA isn't completely stock, now that I think about it... She's had a little "augmentation"...:bounce:

Steven037

Just looked at the same pistol at my LGS but it wasn’t the package. I have a trijicon sitting at home without a pistol to sit on. Not looking to replace my G19 yet but that sig sure felt good in the hand. May go by this week and pic it up.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Just looked at the same pistol at my LGS but it wasn’t the package. I have a trijicon sitting at home without a pistol to sit on. Not looking to replace my G19 yet but that sig sure felt good in the hand. May go by this week and pic it up.

I don't think you'll go wrong. I sure like mine.

Prolly got about 200 rounds thru it so far, and it's growing on me.

Your Glocks won't mind if you buy a Sig too...

Dub

I don't think you'll go wrong. I sure like mine.

Prolly got about 200 rounds thru it so far, and it's growing on me.

Your Glocks won't mind if you buy a Sig too...

That is one of the things I like about Glocks....they aren't jealous and they let you play with the other guns.

They know you'll always have then around, too. :shoot:

transfixer

I said the same thing about handgun optics, until I started seeing hair growing on all my front sights...:bounce:

Then I messed up and shot one so equipped, and now I own four...:rofl:

I've resisted getting one so far, but my eyes aren't getting any better,, lol, I was discussing them with my stepson , who is LE, and we're both of the opinion you probably need to have all your pistols one way or the other, having some with traditional iron sights and some with a red dot will make it difficult shoot both the same, getting used to a red dot takes a minute, once you're used to a red dot we're of the opinion it will be a bit confusing to go back and forth between irons and red dot.
At least that is the opinion of some of the guys he works with that run red dots, once they changed over, they changed over all their pistols to red dot equipped ones. And they say their qualification scores improved, and these are guys with good vision,

Reactions: Dub

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've resisted getting one so far, but my eyes aren't getting any better,, lol, I was discussing them with my stepson , who is LE, and we're both of the opinion you probably need to have all your pistols one way or the other, having some with traditional iron sights and some with a red dot will make it difficult shoot both the same, getting used to a red dot takes a minute, once you're used to a red dot we're of the opinion it will be a bit confusing to go back and forth between irons and red dot.
At least that is the opinion of some of the guys he works with that run red dots, once they changed over, they changed over all their pistols to red dot equipped ones. And they say their qualification scores improved, and these are guys with good vision,

I don't see a bit of going back and forth being a problem for me for a couple of reasons...

First off, my close up vision is so far gone that all I am doing is "point shooting from memory" with a handgun anyway.

Out to 10 yards, I really don't care what's on top of the gun, or if nothing is there...It just don't matter. ?

Second, I am a gun guy with a bunch of toys, and I play with them nearly every day. I can't put a red dot on all of em... ?

But the optics have absolutely improved my handgun shooting, and there is no getting around that...

Now from a law enforcement standpoint, with most cops having only their duty weapon and not being "gun freaks", one way or the other is probably a good idea..

I'd like to see some data regarding how quickly a brand new shooter progresses from first shot ever, to qualified, using optics vs. irons.

I'm thinkin' the optics would be faster....

transfixer

I'll get one at some point, for now my carry gun is a P365 I put the XL frame on, I like the compactness of it, as I carry appendix , I don't really want to add something that will add to the size of it,, at least until my eyes get to where I have an issue focusing on the front sight .

My stepson did tell me that ALL of the guys in their SWAT unit use red dots, even on their daily duty guns ,

Dub

Dad tried to get me to "see the light" on red dots years back.

He'd hand me one of his revolvers with a ? atop and I'd try to like it. Wound up searching all over for the dang dot and simply had zero confidence.
This was in my early 40's. Still 10ft tall & bulletproof and possessed eagle eye x-ray vision.

Fast forward to present day...some ten years later. Not as tall as I once was....and haven taken up the practice of wearing cheater glasses to read. 10yrd targets at the range are testy. Anything further is a scattered mess of a group.

The front sight focus is not sharp & crisp.

Many of my handguns now have fiber optic fronts.....or gold bead fronts. Much prefer these.

Range trip with my father had him trying again....here, try this one, handing me a semiauto with ? atop. Much easier to find. Much faster to find than the former attempts with revolvers.

Turns out it's all in what I've become used to. Years of neglecting double action revolver shooting leaves me with a poor showing....add a red dot and it worsens.

Double action semi-autos, however.....and I started to get it.

Things really fell into place when adding a 1911/2011 that I ran to my best ability with irons....then added the ? while trusting & believing in grip, presentation and recoil recovery. A beautiful thing occurred.

• Vision remains focused on the target...whatever distance that is....always the target is where the focus it. The dot simply hovers over it automatically.
  • Since the target is already in focus before your present the gun.....you are on target at all times....as soon as you subconsciously realize the dot is hovering over target you send a round.......same after recoil cycle......the dot is there before the slide is even closed (or so it seems)....you send another round....once your slide locks back on empty mag you'll see a fist-sized gaping hole in your target......and done in less time that you ever imagined.

I should've gleaned all this many years ago....when my son was starting off with his .22lr AR. We ran it with irons and he was fast....but then I put a red dot sight on it and he was insanely fast. I couldn't reload mags quick enough to keep him running. :rofl:

That should have been demonstration enough for me....but it took necessity to breed willingness to try something new.

Crisp vision....such a blessing.....once gone has seen me try contact lenses....horrid experiment. The next step is actual glasses....I'm overdue....yet I fend them off with simply using cheaters.......and red dots. :)

I still enjoy my guns with irons, blacked out rears and gold bead or fiber optic fronts....will continue shooting them and carrying them with confidence.........however, for some serious high round count shooting I will grab the dot guns.

I've been doing like @Railroader and trying out a carry gun with a dot. Still in the initial range session vetting of it.....then onto the carry. I durability tested it already.....dropped it accidentally...squarely on a metal surface and it survived unscathed.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
@Dub we are having almost the same experience. Your description of using an optics handgun is spot on.

Been talking with a few shooting buddies who are all about to give it a go.

While your Dad has known this for years, I believe that in a very short time, we are gonna see red dots take completely over in handgunning.

Much like the "Wonder-nines" did in the early eighties, if you remember the term...

Dub

@Dub we are having almost the same experience. Your description of using an optics handgun is spot on.

Been talking with a few shooting buddies who are all about to give it a go.

While your Dad has known this for years, I believe that in a very short time, we are gonna see red dots take completely over in handgunning.

Much like the "Wonder-nines" did in the early eighties, if you remember the term...

I remember the term well.

Indeed.

The NATO Niner was mighty popular.....and has only grown.

The advance in magazine quality and bullet performance have only made the 9mm MORE appealing to me than ever before.

I've thoroughly enjoyed branching out and adding the optics to my normal shooting. If nothing else...additional familiarity and competency is mighty rewarding.

I very much try to not have an "either-or" & "all or nothing" thought process with this stuff.

Sig has made it very easy for us by providing highly visible irons on our dot-equipped guns. One of my first session with my Sig found the lens covered with gun oil, that I'd used liberally....over liberally. Breaking it in...wet. :rofl:

Even through the hazy oily mess of the optic, that Sig front sight was visible. I continued to shoot it....left hand....right hand....etc. The paper Bad Guy target looked like someone had punched a hole though his sternum & face. No errant rounds....just two big holes and pile of empty mags and a very warm, very dirty Sig. :)

I'm adding a Holosun 509T to my G40 MOS this week. Before the dot is installed, however....a set of taller sights will be installed. I want to always be able to rely on oldschool irons.....just in case. (y)

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
It appears that ejected brass are beating on the R1P as they leave...

IMG_20220306_090536158.jpg

No big deal, I don't guess, just something I observed during a wipe down.

A black sharpie will take care of it, if it gets too "used looking"... ?

Latest posts