First Muskrat Updated

kmaxwell3

I am sure you guys have all caught plenty of Muskrats. But I have been trying to catch one since I was 10 years old. I am 43 now. Since we have been trapping the beaver swamp I thought there may be some out there. After finding some scat on logs in the water and posting that on here you guys verified that it was Muskrat scat. So we set that area and have not caught any there. Yesterday we found a small hole in the bank with cut grass in it. So we set a 110 in front of it and this morning we had one. It was actually going into the hole when caught. I know this may seem ridiculous but I was more excited to catch that Muskrat than the Beavers and Otter we caught. Hopefully there are more in there. I found another hole under water by the first hole so I set another 110 in front of it this morning. Thanks guys!!

Attachments

• 20210116_095551.jpg
    20210116_095551.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 91

Doug B.

Awesome man! Looks like a nice size rat. Looks like your helpers are tickled too!

Last edited:

buckpasser

Heck yeah!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Use the Meat to catch a mink

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Just finished cutting up the meat for bait. Is there scent glands under the head by the throat area?
If you search muskrat gland removal on YouTube they show toy where they are. Can’t like it age restricted ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That’s pretty cool , I’ve been in the woods, swamps , and water all my life in Ga and not sure I’ve ever seen one . What part of the state u in

kmaxwell3

That’s pretty cool , I’ve been in the woods, swamps , and water all my life in Ga and not sure I’ve ever seen one . What part of the state u in

The property is in Spalding County. First for me to.
I grew up in Louisiana and never saw or caught one there either. First sign of them around here also for me.

Doug B.

I would guess that most people have never seen a muskrat. They are very seclusive much like a mink or a bobcat.

kmaxwell3

Caught our second muskrat today. Small female and caught it in same set we caught first one in few weeks back.

Attachments

• 20210129_165728.jpg
    20210129_165728.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 13