First smallmouth

buckpasser

Not many outdoor firsts for me these days, but knocked smallmouth off my wish list today. I’ve wanted to snag one since I was a kid but haven’t had a good opportunity. This one came on a visit to my in-laws in southern Pennsylvania. I had a nice one (maybe the same fish) strike a swim bait right at the edge and I took it away. Later I got lucky on a bomb cast out in the middle of nowhere not far from there. Maybe 2 1/2 lbs or so? Anyway, I need a walleye and a Suwannee bass next!

EB0C3934-AAFD-429A-81BA-C3A6DE178C7E.jpeg441BB1A0-D7BB-48E9-AD16-3C0FE56C2EDC.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah! And you probably don't realize how nice of one that is! One of my favorite fish.

Hillbilly stalker

Them smallmouth really know how to scrap. Everyone I ever caught felt like he had shoulders on him. That's a nice fish you caught there. (y)

buckpasser

Oh yeah! And you probably don't realize how nice of one that is! One of my favorite fish.

My BIL said is was really nice, but I assume at least some of that was to pump me up! Haha

I photo’d the length against the rod, so at least I will have that stat.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Not many outdoor firsts for me these days, but knocked smallmouth off my wish list today. I’ve wanted to snag one since I was a kid but haven’t had a good opportunity. This one came on a visit to my in-laws in southern Pennsylvania. I had a nice one (maybe the same fish) strike a swim bait right at the edge and I took it away. Later I got lucky on a bomb cast out in the middle of nowhere not far from there. Maybe 2 1/2 lbs or so? Anyway, I need a walleye and a Suwannee bass next!

View attachment 1085012View attachment 1085013

Nice job! I do love smallies.

I got up at 4:00am last Saturday to make the drive to a lake known for smallies. I've caught a few in my life, just never one I'd call a good one. That all changed on a 3.3 Keitech swimbait. I'm guessing close to 4lbs and he jumped over my head at one point. Give me smallmouth over spotted bass any day of the week.
51241145753_480b6f336d_o.jpg

Ajohnson0587

When to Pickwick in march for a Kayak fishing tournament just to try and knock the small mouth off my fishing bucket list, ended up catching a bunch of Hybrids and Non-scoreable LM lol. It was still a good trip though

buckpasser

Smallmouth were my favorite fish growing up in N.J.and fishing there, Pa and Canada. If you want to catch big ones in nearby mountain lakes, check this guy out
https://dreamcatcherguides.com/ And listen to his podcast on "Smallmouth Crush" on the way to the lake https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...thern-smallmouth/id1543958462?i=1000521926966

I think I’m gonna spend any available selfish time trying to catch a wild brook, brown or rainbow from the big spring creek fly fishing catch and release section. Any trout would make this a miracle bonus fishing trip tied to this family vacation.

TurkeyH90

Still looking to check a smallmouth off the list. Preferably on a flyrod. Ive got a good LM, Spot, Stripe, and Shoal on a flyrod so far

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
17 1/2”
That is a very nice smallmouth, no pumping. I've caught I guess thousands of smallmouth, but not very many of them bigger than that one.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately here in NC smallmouth populations are in decline
Not at all in this end of NC, except for the lakes where idiots illegally dumped Alabama spots. Then the smallmouth completely disappear from there. In general, there are millions of them where there aren't spots.

lampern

From the French Broad east spotted bass have gotten in the rivers and are slowly increasing in number while the smallmouth are declining.

I don't know what to say. They are showing up everywhere it seems.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
From the French Broad east spotted bass have gotten in the rivers and are slowly increasing in number while the smallmouth are declining.

I don't know what to say. They are showing up everywhere it seems.
Thank you, spot dumpers, and I hope y'all burn in Hades in eternal agony?

buckpasser

Well, the Big Spring Creek fly fishing - catch and release only section was a truly humbling experience. I saw dozens of trout in the slow, shallow grassy waters today, but only managed three rises and one catch! I was so thankful to see this little Brook trout swallow my dry fly, but saw some giant rainbows that will make me want to return.

Coolest looking stream I’ve visited since Crow creek South Dakota, and not a normal mountain steam. Sorry I didn’t take pictures. I’m really regretting it already...

8372F8F0-D9B3-4073-9EDA-11EAF3BDBBAB.jpeg

buckpasser

Here’s the finale of the Pennsylvania bonus fishing trip. I borrowed an ultralight and bought a pack of beetle spins. We went back to the Swatara Creek where the smallmouth came from and managed to get buckpasser jr on some action. Also, caught my first “rock bass”. It seems firsts aren’t as rare as I’d mentioned!

1807D12A-8BF4-45BA-8FE0-611EA68DA24D.jpeg55619CFB-B607-4A52-8CF6-B6F430943204.jpeg