First Squirrel Gun

crackerdave

What would yall suggest for my 10 year old grandson's first gun?
He's had a pellet rifle for a year,and is a good shot and safe handler with it.
I intend to start him squirrel-doggin' this year.My idea is an over-under 20ga. and .22 singleshot,if Stevens still makes one.

Any suggestions?

Mac

My first about 60 years ago was a single shot 20 ga. youth model, which I still have. It really kicked!!! When my son got of age I reloaded him some soft shells about equivalent to 410 ga. IMO a kid should not start off with .22 get a shotgun first.

So if it was not for the expensive shells I would go with a 410.

TurkeyH90

If you are hunting over dogs he needs a shotgun. I would suggest a lightweight auto. Full choke and only one in the chamber till he is mature enough to handle more. And remind him to never shoot a squirrel below 20' on the tree and NEVER on the ground. We have had a few close calls over the years.

bany

The 20 ga. was a great starter gun. Not a youth model but a single shot, 3”, modified choke. Hunted everything from squirrels to bear! Got my first deer that year with it. Its 49 now and I used it a few years ago to kill another buck!

menhadenman

Any problems with the peep sights?

I think the peeps are solid although maybe not as easy in low light conditions. A little dab of fluorescent paint on the front sight helps.

The other potential downside is that it's only a single shot. On the other hand, all three of my kids started shooting it at maybe 5 years of age and it's great for the fundamentals (safety, aiming, making the first shot count). It's also pretty affordable and single shot makes a brick of ammo last longer. Another option is a solid bolt gun with 7 round mag. I have an old Marlin but don't think they're made anymore.

The 10/22s are great but unless you get a charger the length of pull can teach kids goofy habits (leaning backwards for example). We have a couple of those and I find it to be a little distracting in that some kids just like spanking a magazine rather than focusing on the shot. A quick follow up is handy though.

A lot of good options so hard to go wrong. I think the best thing is getting youth into our heritage in outdoors and marksmanship.

crackerdave

The 20 ga. was a great starter gun. Not a youth model but a single shot, 3”, modified choke. Hunted everything from squirrels to bear! Got my first deer that year with it. Its 49 now and I used it a few years ago to kill another buck!
Another good reason to get him a shotgun.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I started out with a 410 for a couple years then went to a 12 single shot . Still have it and it still kicks just as bad

Hillbilly stalker

Maybe the Rossi that comes with two barrels in .22 and 20ga single shot is the solution.
Sportsman's Warehouse has it for less than $200.
Another plus for the Rossi is that it is the only single shot I am aware of that has a safety on it. Great training aid for future weapons. Also I would stick with a 20 gauge. Squirrel hunting with a dog usually puts the squirrels in the biggest trees and often near the top. You will need the range.

crackerdave

Another plus for the Rossi is that it is the only single shot I am aware of that has a safety on it. Great training aid for future weapons. Also I would stick with a 20 gauge. Squirrel hunting with a dog usually puts the squirrels in the biggest trees and often near the top. You will need the range.
Good point...thanks.

I want to teach him stillhunting,too.Hard for a 10 yo to sit still very long!

crackerdave

I think the peeps are solid although maybe not as easy in low light conditions. A little dab of fluorescent paint on the front sight helps.

The other potential downside is that it's only a single shot. On the other hand, all three of my kids started shooting it at maybe 5 years of age and it's great for the fundamentals (safety, aiming, making the first shot count). It's also pretty affordable and single shot makes a brick of ammo last longer. Another option is a solid bolt gun with 7 round mag. I have an old Marlin but don't think they're made anymore.

The 10/22s are great but unless you get a charger the length of pull can teach kids goofy habits (leaning backwards for example). We have a couple of those and I find it to be a little distracting in that some kids just like spanking a magazine rather than focusing on the shot. A quick follow up is handy though.

A lot of good options so hard to go wrong. I think the best thing is getting youth into our heritage in outdoors and marksmanship.
Without the kids,our sport will eventually be gone.