First Time Dove Hunt - Public Field

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I've about given up on mojo's on a crowded field. Two things happen. First, every single person has a flock of them out and I believe it flairs more birds than in brings in. Second, it can lead to a lot of low birds.

They can be great on a very open field where you need to try to bring them closer. I like them about a good shot out.
I agree. I have about quit taking decoys to a public shoot, I use them a lot more if I'm hunting by myself up in the cow pasture or something.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I just found ONE in the whole state, picking up from Athens tomorrow.... if I don't like it, I will hold you responsible!
I've never shot or owned one, but I've talked to several people who have them, and they all seem to like them.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
.410 is a professional skeet gun. Go bigger. If there is a clay bird range you can get to use it often. Scout late in th day. Pick a spot just inside some tall shade so as the sun moves you can keep sliding back. Take twice as much water as you think you need. Befriend the ranger and offer him water. Had one sit with me for three hours and he never checked my license. Shoot where the bird is going to be not where he is. No beer allowed but a flask comes in handy. Where are you I’ll loan you a gun if you can’t afford one.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I just found ONE in the whole state, picking up from Athens tomorrow.... if I don't like it, I will hold you responsible!

I'll seriously drive and come get it. I've had one for 5-6 years and it has been flawless. It has killed tons of doves and ducks without a hiccup.

Pick up a box of 3 inch heavy loads of some variety and run them through the gun first. Then shoot whatever you wish.

Last edited:

hawkeye123

Take plenty of H2O , hottest place ever is dove field on labor day weekend! Practice shooting skeet, coming on shots, going away, side shots, learn to swing shotgun, follow through is most important thing like pitching a baseball, golf swing or any racquet sport, then when you get on live birds swing faster, especially if down wind , those buggers are faster than clay pigeons 15-20 mph. Most people do not know what 50 yards is, if you play decent golf or bow hunt you will be wsy ahead of most, shoot 45 ,& under

Turkeytider

Honestly, I've about given up on mojo's on a crowded field. Two things happen. First, every single person has a flock of them out and I believe it flairs more birds than in brings in. Second, it can lead to a lot of low birds.

They can be great on a very open field where you need to try to bring them closer. I like them about a good shot out.
Amen. Whether public field or a club shoot, when there’s lots of hunters about, I think they can be dangerous. I have some mojos but don’t use them on club hunts very much at all. They work, but bring birds too low for a field with a number of hunters

basstrkr

Marking doves: To get quicker retrieves on downed doves I take some empty hulls with me and put them on limbs or sticks about 40 ft out from me in an arc. Using these a reference points to mark fallen birds. This makes it easier on you but also is good etiquette so you ain't stumbling around the field and spooking the birds.

mose

Followup question on the mojo flickers... do I set them up right around me, or a spot that's 50 ft away, or how do yall set up decoy placement?
I agree with Dustin on this one. I will use them if the field is not crowded but usually there will be too many people already using them. Some days they are like a magnet and other times the birds avoid them. Trial and error....Good Luck and be SAFE!

Fletch_W

Banned
Stupid question #42- Is it legal to use mojo flickers for scouting purposes, as long as I'm unarmed?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Stupid question #42- Is it legal to use mojo flickers for scouting purposes, as long as I'm unarmed?

Why would you want to? A good pair of binoculars would serve you better, to observe undisturbed flight patterns.

Fletch_W

Banned
Why would you want to? A good pair of binoculars would serve you better, to observe undisturbed flight patterns.

good point, but maybe observe without decoys for a while, then observe with the decoys, at a couple spots? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here, trying to absorb as much info as possible. Thank you all for the info.

casey0802

First dove hunt ever, I haven't decided which WMA yet, I was leaning toward Redlands but Walton is on the way and Clybel is about the same distance. I've been to Redlands a few times so I'm more familiar with the area in general. The positive about Clybel is they have a shotgun range (right?). The positive about Walton is it's a shorter drive. Reco's?

I've read a lot of beginner Dove 101 type articles and watched a few youtube videos and read alot here. I think I have the basics figured out.

Right now I have a 410 but am actively pursuing a 20 SA just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, the ones I really want are out of stock. I'm open to suggestions to any reliable inexpensive 20 SA that are in stock somewhere, and shell recommendations as well.

I intend to get those mojo flickers. I also intend to get some warm weather camo because it will be warm, for sure.

I intend to get a nice seat to sit on that blends into the field.

A couple questions, should I expect the crops to be cut, or tall? A mix?

How crowded and goofy does it get?

I have read two different articles on etiquette, any other tidbits or unwritten rules you can share with me?

License in hand, about to buy migratory bird stamp.

Thanks in advance. Also, feel free to PM me anything you don't feel comfortable saying publicly.
i have a 20 ga semi auto for sale... if you interested pm me..

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

Find a spot, hide and just watch. Birds coming to a field are going to come to the field. They are most likely going to tend to a certain area as well. That's where you need to be opening day.